Did you mean: 

Maxed Out

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Maxed Out

I watched it today. None of this surprising to me. Sleazy lenders and CCCs owning all of these check cashing stations was a surprise though. Lenders and fraud, just like health insurance companies and fraud, the crap never ends.Smiley Sad
Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noah_Bodie wrote:
OMG! Just watched it. I'm speechless. Words escape me. And that's a rarity for me. OMG, OMG, OMG! Well, that settles it. I'm buying it.

Trying to formulate a few coherent thoughts.

First, those of you Dave Ramsey advocates, you really don't seem to be doing him justice. Haven't read any of his books, and the snippets with him were brief, but he did seem very coherent.

How would I describe Maxed Out, in a word? Hmmmmmmm. OK, got it.

Masterpiece.

Yep, that's the word. Masterpiece. I've heard reviews critical saying it needed more X, but I find it wholly complete in every way.

It is a must see.

There was a subtle, backhanded smack aimed at Fair Isaac and Suze Orman, and that made me snicker.

It was truly shocking to hear CAs openly admitting, on tape, to violating FDCPA. And these were held up as representing "the good guys" of CAs.

I suspect my days are numbered on MyFico Forums because of Maxed Out.

Noah_Bodie......your last statement above startled me......why would your days be numbered at this forum b/c of this movie?????????Smiley Surprised
Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

flygirl wrote:

Noah_Bodie......your last statement above startled me......why would your days be numbered at this forum b/c of this movie?????????Smiley Surprised

Oh, probably jes me yammering on about nothing, but maybe not. This movie set me off about the whole MyFico Forums is all about ethical and honest credit rehabilitation, blah, blah, blah.

Even before this, I've been on MyFico's S-list. And the S don't stand for Santa.

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

A real irony occured to me about the movie.

The Kirkland, WA pawn shop owner who was interviewed was probably the guy most like George Bailey of the Bailey Building and Loan in Capra's It's A Wonderful Life.

Today all the banks are run by Mr. Potter, we're in Pottersville, and Clarence ain't there to take us back.

Message 15 of 23
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Noah_Bodie wrote:

flygirl wrote:

Oh, probably jes me yammering on about nothing, but maybe not. This movie set me off about the whole MyFico Forums is all about ethical and honest credit rehabilitation, blah, blah, blah.

Even before this, I've been on MyFico's S-list. And the S don't stand for Santa.

You still here then?   Smiley Very Happy

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

MidnightVoice wrote:

You still here then?   Smiley Very Happy

So far no access denied message when I login.

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the biggest problems are a broken health care system and simple greed and refusal to delay gratification.

I say broken health care system because a significant percentage of bankruptcies and serious credit situations occur because of medical bills. The American health care system is seriously deficient and needs to be fixed. And no, I don't really care for horror stories from conservatives on how national health care will take us back to the Stone Age and so therefore we don't dare do anything to reform the American system. We don't have to socialize the system, and even if we did plenty of countries in Europe have and seem to get by just fine. Considering impoverished Cuba has a lower infant mortality rate than we do, I don't see what's sacred about a system where we pay one of the highest percentages of our (highest in the world) GDP of any industrial nation for health care, and get middling results.

If I were President I would enact an "20/80" national health insurance system. That name comes from the "20/80" rule well known to efficiency experts, who will tell you that 20% by number of anything accounts for roughly 80% of volume. Consider your cell phone contacts...if you have twenty names, there are likely four to six that account for four-fifths of your calls, and at least six to eight you never even use. The same principle applies to health care. There are a relatively small list of common ailments--respiratory infections, boils, allergies, management of chronic conditions, sprains and cuts, flu, etc.--that account for 80% of doctors visits, and which in almost all cases could be handled economically by a nurse-practitioner. I would insure those, as well as basic preventative care (physicals, tests, gynecological exams, etc.). A 20/80 insurance plan would be inexpensive, and help free up resources and bring down the cost of private health plans.

Then we get to greed. Sorry, but I really don't have much sympathy for people who charge up $20,000 or so of clothes, vacations, stereo equipment, Sea-Doos, and whatnot and then act all shocked when they're asked to pay it back. Whatever happened to living within your means? Some of these people honestly didn't know any better, but most had to have at least considered the possibility that there's no such thing as a free lunch. My daughter is only twelve years old, and she clearly understands the difference between someone handing you money versus loaning you money.

The shelves in bookstores are lined with tomes purporting to give you the "secret" to riches, but the "secret" has been public domain since Biblical times: live below your means, and invest in yourself and others. There. That's it. A single sentence. If you make $50,000 a year, live like you're making $40,000, and invest the remaining $10,000. (Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I myself spend more than I should and invest less...something I'm working on. But at least I'm not wasting my time chasing some ancient, occult "secret" to financial success.)

Common sense tells you that if you make $50,000 and live like you're making $60,000, that cannot go on forever. You can't spend more than you earn over the long haul. But I suppose common sense isn't that common anymore, especially considering the number of kids in this country born to parents who think a television set and a PlayStation can raise their children without effort on their part. I think there's a special circle in Hell for parents who can't be bothered to teach their children the fundamentals of how the planet they live on operates.

/rant
Message 18 of 23
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

TheNewWorldMan wrote:
I think the biggest problems are a broken health care system
Don't be too hard on the US health care system.  I believe it has improved in the latest set of statistics - it has gone from the 37th best in the world to the 36th!

Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

MidnightVoice wrote:

Don't be too hard on the US health care system.  I believe it has improved in the latest set of statistics - it has gone from the 37th best in the world to the 36th!

There's a widening divide between the haves and the have nots for both wealth and health. If you can make it into the have camp, you've got the best in the world.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.