Did you mean: 

Maxed Out

tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Maxed Out

Noah_Bodie wrote:

MidnightVoice wrote:

Don't be too hard on the US health care system.  I believe it has improved in the latest set of statistics - it has gone from the 37th best in the world to the 36th!

There's a widening divide between the haves and the have nots for both wealth and health. If you can make it into the have camp, you've got the best in the world.

Agreed.  I have excellent health insurance and treatment.  But the SYSTEM still sucks, and the way it is run makes it extremely expensive.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 21 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

MidnightVoice wrote:

Agreed.  I have excellent health insurance and treatment.  But the SYSTEM still sucks, and the way it is run makes it extremely expensive.

The free market does a lotta things well. And I think it deserves credit for our excellent health care treatment system. But a lotta things, the free market is not so good at doing.

40 hour work weeks, end of slavery, child labor laws, et al. didn't come about because of the free market. They came about because of government action mandating change.

It was said we couldn't get along without slaves. Share cropping and indentured servitude. Today, we can't get along without cheap, illegal workers. Slavery by any other name, still stinks.

I see a lack of health care insurance as a form of enslavement.
Message 22 of 23
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Noah_Bodie wrote:

MidnightVoice wrote:

The free market does a lotta things well. And I think it deserves credit for our excellent health care treatment system. But a lotta things, the free market is not so good at doing.

40 hour work weeks, end of slavery, child labor laws, et al. didn't come about because of the free market. They came about because of government action mandating change.

It was said we couldn't get along without slaves. Share cropping and indentured servitude. Today, we can't get along without cheap, illegal workers. Slavery by any other name, still stinks.

I see a lack of health care insurance as a form of enslavement.

It's not a lack of healthcare insurance, it's a regulatory problem. Insurance companies stiff physicians and their premium paying members and they get away with it all of the time. 90% of the claims (bills) I send to insurance companies I have to chase. The physicians and every other business pays excise tax in Hawaii but not the insurance companies. Why? The insurance companies change their status from Sleazy Insurance Co. to a Mutual Benefit Society (not for profit, yeah right!). Can you believe one of these mutual benefit societies pays a neurosurgeon less than 2K for a major brain surgery that takes 4 hours. Keep in mind a successful practice is lucky to keep 15 cents on a dollar after expenses, taxes and malpractice insurance. The execs at this company, by the way they are owned by BIG BLUE, Blue Cross Blue Shield, receive annual bonuses over 500K. Just bonuses! Every other year they are raising premiums and at the same time placing more and more exclusion clauses

$2,000 paid to the surgeon x 15% = 300/4 hours. WOW what a bargain, a brain surgeon making only $75 an hour to save someone's life. Breast augmentation is between 7-10K, not medically necessary and is usually prepaid in full. NO insurance involvement.
Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.