Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxed out?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Maxed out?

Yeah, quit paying that thing down, there's no point in them getting the money instead of you. And $12.23 is too much to be buying. Are these people your friends? No. Do you love them? No. If they asked you for $1.83 per year, would you give it to them? No. So quit making transactions that put money into their pocket instead of yours. My required purchases on my Discover card are always bananas. One banana per purchase. Two cards require one purchase per month, and two cards require two purchases. (I do them at the self-check, so as not to inconvenience the store employees). Now it's such a strong habit, that I have had the thought cross my mind, what if there aren't any nice-looking bananas, and I have to tall myself, it doesn't have to be a banana! But guess what I found out? If you use the self-check, you use a DIFFERENT CARD to start. Then what you do when you are using the PIN pad is, when it asks you if the amount is OK, you push NO. Then it will ask you to put in the amount you want, and you put in some amount just short of the total. It will then ask you how you're going to pay the rest, and THEN you use your Diamond Card. So you can buy anything you want (except stuff where you want to get the extended warranty, price protection, or other benefits) and pay for all but a penny or a nickel or something, and then use your Diamond card for that penny or nickel or something. I was really upset when you told me about the F1K7 code, because it doesn't work any more. But looking at it I probably did see it, and decided not to do it because I don't like to pay the fee. Don't remember for sure, though. Probably an unwise decision on my part, and if the offer shows up again I'll probably do it. I don't think they're going to have many takers for that thing in this week's paper, except people who will get the bonus points and the 2 points per $1 for purchases. But if I did just fail to see it, it serves me right for not reading Fatwallet more frequently and more carefully.
Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mike,

You know I didn't think about the self-check at the supermarket!!!  That would be the easiest way to use this CitiDiamond card and in the manner in which you described about the bananas. Smiley Happy 

The F1K7 was a sweet deal, IMHO and I don't think they are going to repeat it any way soon.  I will  post on this forum if I hear of such an offer again. 

SandyK

Message Edited by sankofa on 05-23-2007 01:07 PM

Message Edited by sankofa on 05-23-2007 01:08 PM
Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, now thinking about it, I'm sure I didn't see it - why else wouldn't I have gotten it? - and I've been grieving all day. I don't know about them not repeating it, (and I hope they do, of course) for about a year now they have been trying to put in features that make their cards less attractive, like a $250 cap on the BT fee, or no cap, or taking away the 5% on the Citi Dividend card, but they still have some cards with 1-year 0% no-fee BT and now they are giving 5% on new dividend cards for the 1st 6 months. The competition just seems cutthroat, and I guess Citibank can't get as much business as they want if they put in unattractive terms. Anyway, I'll keep looking, and will make do with 1-year 0% in the meantime (and in addition). And thanks for looking out for it yourself, I'll continue monitoring the forum for any such post of yours!
Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mike,

Not a problem!  I enjoy reading your posts!  

I'll keep an eye and ear out from my friends at FW cause they seem to pull these 0% offers outta thin air!  Smiley Very Happy   Can't you tell I have followed their lead?  I have too many cards so I am being very selective while at the same time hoping that the ones I do apply for that I will be approved!  I have to watch my inquiries.  Smiley Indifferent

SandyK 
Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know how tight you have to watch your inquiries, really. I have 16 cards that I can think of, and 6 of those were in the last year. I only get cards that have a really good deal, but I still got 6. My credit score is sill very high. Inquiries and new account aren't that big a part of your score,, it looks like, more important is utilization and payment history. And from my experience, per-card utilization isn't really that big a deal. I had creditexpert free for a year because of buying Microsoft Money Deluxe, and I showed a 12 point hit when I had too high utilization on individual cards. Not 12 points per card, either, 12 points total. So yeah, be selective, but there are plenty of good cards out there. I'll tell you another reason to be selective. I got a Hilton Amex in February, and got 10,000 bonus points, plus 2500 per stay for the first 4 stays, and I've stayed once so far. Thought I was doing good. Well, the other day, I got an email saying, sign up for the Hilton Amex and get up to 50,000 points - 10,000 on first purchase, 2500 points per stay up to 4 stays, and 30,000 points for making $1500 in purchases by August 15. Well, I couldn't get the card because I already had it, so I had my wife get one. But if I hadn't jumped the gun, she and I could both have gotten one!
Message 25 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mike,

Transunion is my worst by far with the inquiries.  I have a total of 8 there and one will drop off on 6-2-07.  It seems every card I apply for pulls Transunion.  Equifax has 4 and Experian 5,  and most of those are over 12 months old.  I appreciate your explanation about the inquiries.  I just fixed my utilization (thanks to the posts by Noah_Bodie and TheNewWorldMan) to under 50% with the lowest being WAMU at 20%.  These changes should appear on my July statements.  (I hope).  My payment history spans many years and is listed on FICO as GREAT!!  I have no derogatories.  Todate my scores are TU - 703  Equifax - 715 and Exp 722.

I see Apply for Hilton Honors when I sign on to my Amex account.  I haven't been turned down for any Amex  cards and is that the one that is 2.9% for balance transfers for six months?  I may take a gander at that one and send my BOA that way.  The offer has been on my Amex account for months now, I just haven't applied.  Wtg...atleast your wife is taking advantage of the offer!  I got my husband to apply for the CitiDiamond Preferred 0% for Life with 2 purchases a month and he really likes that one.  He isn't into the "watch my credit" and "apply for cards"  like me!!  Smiley Indifferent    It's okay.  I do enough reading and taking chances for the two of us!  Smiley Happy

Hey Mike, take a look at this article by Liz Pulliam Weston on MSNMoney.com.  The article is titled, "0%daredevils chase "free" cash."  It was posted yesterday.  The article really explains what my friends are doing on FatWallet with the 0% offers.  I would love to do it too, but I have too much  debt right now to PIF.    I wouldn't benefit from it when I run my numbers LOL. 

SandyK

Message Edited by sankofa on 05-24-2007 10:18 AM
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.