Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maybe my only option?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe my only option?

I have 30, 90, and 120 day lates on a Discover Card, which caused the account to close, it has a balance of $199.

After calling the Executive Office, and waiting 4 days for them to "investigate", even if I pay the full balance, they would not want to remove any of the lates, or delete the account.

I am now wondering if it might be a better option to allow the account to charge off, then do a pay for delete with the collection agency.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: Maybe my only option?

The original trade line of Discover will still be on your reports.  Allowing it to go to collections is another ding on your reports, I woul pay it and call it a day.  They do not to remove the lates.  

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I agree.

Adding both a charge-off and a collection, and then hoping for a PFD of the collection, will only make things worse.

The best option, in my opinion, is to pay before it charges-off, thus showing the CO that you are not going to stiff the debt, and then pursue a GW campaign with the OC.

Message 3 of 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I'm with both of the responses above. You wouldn't want to make the situation worse by adding a charge off. In fact, you showing that you are making an effort to correct the situation may help you with a possible GW down the road.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Letting it go to charge off definitely won't help.

Make sure you're addressing the actual cause that led to the lates and not paying in the first place.  You need to do whatever it takes to avoid lates and other derogs on a go forward basis.   Consider the typical weight of Payment History.

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.