Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Bill Advice

tag
djshabazz
Valued Member

Medical Bill Advice

I need some help with a medical bill.  Basically back in 2006 I went to the ER and was misdiagnosed as having chicken pox.  The hospital told me to stay at home for up to two weeks.  I later found out that it was flea bites and not chicken pox.  The worst place for me to be was at my new apartment which was infested with fleas.  The hospital told me (verbally) that they could possibly waive the $100.00 co-pay.  I went back to the hospitaland it has since closed for business.  This debt is two years old.  I have a collection from West Asset Management on my credit report which I have disputed.  The collection agency will not delete the negative credit entry even if I pay it.  They told me that they don't have a telephone number for the hospital or parent company. 

Can some one give me some advice on what my options are.  I am trying to buy a house in the next three months and am in credit repair mode.  My average FICO score is 572 but is soon to jump up because I completed a student loan rehabilitation in October 2007.  I don't have any credit cards and pay cash for everything.  I had two auto leases between 1996 and 2003 which were paid on time never late for over six years straight.  I have a few more medical bills one in which the doctor's office has agreed (verbally) for a PFD $74.00.  
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
cgmiller63
Contributor

Re: Medical Bill Advice

I would DV them. If they have no contact information for the hospital, they quite possibly do not have the information needed to validate the debt.

Message Edited by cgmiller63 on 11-17-2007 07:46 AM
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

kinda what i was thinking dv them and dispute w/cra. if no one can contact them, then there is no way to validate or verify.
Message 3 of 8
djshabazz
Valued Member

Thanks for your replies.  I'm new to this board. The DV letter is in the mail.  Now if I can get these other three or four things straightened out I should be OK.  One is an old Sprint bill from an account I had in 1999 - 2000.  The collection agency (Cavalry Portfolio Services) recently started sending letters and are reporting my first delinquency date in 2003.  I explained to the Cavalry rep that I didn't have a Sprint account in 2003.  Can they legally change my date of delinquency?  I don't have a problem settling this account $92.00 but they haven't agreed to remove it off my credit report. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

DJ - I don't see how you get your score up enough for a decent mtg rate without having at least one credit card.  Why are you so opposed to having one?   If only to use for gas, then pay in full each month......
Message 5 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

dnm45227 wrote:
kinda what i was thinking dv them and dispute w/cra. if no one can contact them, then there is no way to validate or verify.

hmmm...Smiley Surprised
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

the op had an arriangement, or understanding with the hospital. this arriangment was not honored and they sent a ca after them. if they didn't give the op an avenue to work it out or clarify the misunderstanding and op can't find them to honor the obligation or discuss the understood arraingment perhaps durring the process the op will get the info to make good on the debt, or the hospital will abide by the original agreement. either way, the matter will get resolved.
Message 7 of 8
djshabazz
Valued Member

Thanks for your reply.  I plan to never get a credit card or any other credit for that matter except for my mortgage.  I have been surviving forever with my visa check card.  Hopefully I can get approved on a loan that looks more at my overall profile and DTI than my credit score.  
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.