Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Collection - What Now?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical Collection - What Now?

So here I am rockin-and -rollin on my rebuilding.  I go to TC for my daily download and what do you know - BOOM! two medical collections and a 105 point drop!  After I pull myself off the floor I call the doctor.  It ends up these were two legit bills that processed just after a move out of state so they went to collections since I was no longer at the previous address.  I PFD'd over the phone.  I know I should do it in writing but I am close enough to the office to know they will change it.

Unfortunately I want these removed asap so here is my question.  What should I do to get the process rolling? 

*Do I simply dispute with the CRAs and when they try to validate, it will show paid thus invalidating the debt?

*Do I call the CA and tell them this is a paid debt - stop collecting and clear from my CR?

*Do I send a validation letter to the CA?  I haven't received anything from them at all.

*Do take a deep breath and just wait it out?

I think I am in the clear as the doc's office took my payment and gave me a ref# and auth#. 

Thanks in advance for advice - it is times like this when it is good to know you have a forum to go to....

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Medical Collection - What Now?

I am afraid that they may simply update your TLs to "paid".  Since you did not get it in writing, you have no proof from them that they agreed to delete, right? 
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes but the OC was paid and I am assuming with the debt paid, the CA cannot report a "Paid" since I didn't pay them.  They would have to verify the debt or remove.

i see where you are coming from but I thought it may work as it is a medical collection.  The good news, I did not get this is writing but I was a good patient for some time and I know the person I talked to so I am in a better position than having just cold called.  Probably should have thought about it a little longer before paying...
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

daWorm wrote:
Yes but the OC was paid and I am assuming with the debt paid, the CA cannot report a "Paid" since I didn't pay them.  They would have to verify the debt or remove.

i see where you are coming from but I thought it may work as it is a medical collection.  The good news, I did not get this is writing but I was a good patient for some time and I know the person I talked to so I am in a better position than having just cold called.  Probably should have thought about it a little longer before paying...

Hmmm, I always thought the OC would call the CA to tell them the bill was taken care of and mark it paid on the CR.  Knowing someone at the office will hopefully make a difference for you.  I have a paid collection (showing as unpaid) on my report that I have disputed several time and it has come back verified everytime.  I have been very hesitant to write to the OC because I was fearful they would contact the CA and tell them to update the TL to paid.  Maybe I should just grab the bull by the horns, huh?
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I jumped to pay too quick.  I am screwed.  I will hope for the best as I really didn't know of the debt and I moved immediately after the service so I really didn't get notification.  We will see and I will post the results.
Message 5 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Since it's paid, try a GW letter. No guarantee, your YMMV!
Message 6 of 7
FICOnater2007
New Contributor

Dear Daworm,

We did the same in my wife's case and are stuck with a couple of "paid collections" -- on her CR only (thank God!).  Remember my friend, NO good deed goes unpunished!  Even being an upstanding citizen and making good by paying an old debt.Smiley Indifferent

Good luck and best regards,

FICOnater2007
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.