Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical collections

tag
southerngal

Medical collections

Hi all. I'm new to the board. Smiley Happy

I purchased my credit reports/scores this week and noticed that I had 3 medical collections from 2004 that should have been covered by my insurance. I was hospitalized in Sept 04..arrived in an ambulance, and my husband provided the hospital with our insurance information. The problem is, earlier that year, I was on Tricare-while he was on active duty with the Army. The hospital did not file with Cigna ( my coverage at the time), even though my husband states that he did provide them with the insurance card. They filed with Tricare, which denied the claim, because at that time, he was no longer on active duty. I'm ashamed to say that I hadn't reviewed my credit report in years so I had no knowledge that these bills were there.  We had also changed residence since the date of the my hospitalization, and I'm afraid that maybe the hospital had tried to contact me at our old address. So, now, I have an ER bill of 1700, and ambulance fee of 600, and a physician fee of 1200 on my credit reports and I'm not sure what steps I should take to fix this. Also, on one report, the ER bill and ambulance bill were reported twice by 2 different collection agencies. I contacted the first agency and they advised me that the debt had been sold to the other CA. I mailed a dispute letter to EQ on Thursday.

My average FICO is fair, I suppose..630. TU 629, EXP 677, EQ 590 Smiley Sad . The only good credit that I have are my student loans and a car that has been paid off. I paid off 2 collection accounts this past week, which I should have sent a PFD..but paid them before reading the forums. I also have no credit cards, and so I applied for 2 secured cards that were recommended by MYFICO. I'm trying to raise my score because we're planning to purchase a home within the next year or two, and unfortunately my husband's credit is worse than mine.  Any tips on how I should approach the medical collections?
Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.