Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Membership has its privileges.

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Membership has its privileges.

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

Again, your mileage may vary on an individual basis.

I keep thinking that I might use Amex someday and so I should get a card now to get a membershp date, but I have enough accounts that the backdating isn't a huge benefit anyway (its not going to change my AAoA wether backdated or not).

I am kind of a world traveler, as is required by my job.  I have frequent travel expenses and live in foreign countries for long periods of time.  I wish that Amex had a more global network and offered more cards aimed at international travelers.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 11 of 32
ProV
Regular Contributor

Message 12 of 32
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

2013!

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 13 of 32
bobbay
Established Contributor

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 14 of 32
leoment
Frequent Contributor

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 15 of 32
dilettante
Established Contributor

Got Costco TE when I signed up for Costco membership and found out they only take Amex.

Thanks to this forum, have learned of some of the privileges: FHR, backdating, and 3X CLI (will have to try that sometime if needed, but good to know you can w/ SP).

Message 16 of 32
SisterGirl
Established Contributor

Member since 1999.

SisterGirl

SisterGirl
Message 17 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@john398 wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

I am not a member, and have failed to see the great privleges.  I keep playing with the idea of getting an Amex, but it is hard to rationalize since I know that it would rarely be used.  If more places actually accepted Amex, I would take it more seriously.

My BCE has given me a lot of cash back so far. I get offers all the time like:

Dollar Tree

SHOPPING//Spend $25 or more, get $5 back

iTunes
RETAIL//Spend $5 or more, get $5 back

PetSmart
RETAIL//Spend $25 or more, get $5 back

Lowe's
RETAIL//Spend $50 or more, get $10 back

My rewards dollars is sitting at $79.01 right now have not decided how to use it

Right, but other cards can do that or more, and give bigger sign up bonuses.  Nothing particularly special about Amex here.  IFor example, instead of named stores, Citi (and now Barclays) will give special category bonuses for a three month period.

Message 18 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

I am not a member, and have failed to see the great privleges.  I keep playing with the idea of getting an Amex, but it is hard to rationalize since I know that it would rarely be used.  If more places actually accepted Amex, I would take it more seriously.

Agree that your mileage may vary depending on your oindividual needs.

I just used the slogan "Membership has its privileges" since AMEX uses it and it's catchy to garner interest.

In my case, take one year for example, I sold a bag on eBay for $1,500 or so and shipped it to Pais. The buyer said she never got it (I didn't use signature confirm..lesson learned)

I disputed through paypal showing my tracking # as delivered (no signature though). The buyer claimed she did not get it, which could be true since maybe someone took it off the front door. Paypal investigated, and found in favor of the buyer for this reason. I am out $1,500 as paypal reversed the buyer's payment.

Well, my nest level of protection, if paypal did not find in my favor is AMEX. I filed a dispute with AMEX since my paypal is linked with AMEX and all transactions are based on AMEX. AMEX couldn't get a response from the buyer and paypal issued their decision, so what did AMEX while on the phone with the rep, she said "I'm just going to reverse it." So AMEX unilaterally reverse the deduction and this was a few years ago, I have not heard otherwise from paypal. So I got my money back.

The annual fee is surely covered for this one instance. maybe 3 years worth of fees.

I think this is the strongest benefit of Amex, siding with the consumer (usually) in disputes.  Whether that is important enough depends on how often you need it!  Also, Capital One did a similar thing for me on a free card, (even when I eventually found out that I was wrong)

Message 19 of 32
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I think this is the strongest benefit of Amex, siding with the consumer (usually) in disputes.  Whether that is important enough depends on how often you need it!  Also, Capital One did a similar thing for me on a free card, (even when I eventually found out that I was wrong)

^^^^

I echo this sentiment. With other card companies you have to call them or make it difficult otherwise. With AMEX I go to the website, click on the transaction and file a dispute by filling out a short form and you can check on the status anytime online. Often with under $50 AMEX just automatically credits me, they did this a few times, I figure it's cheaper for them to just credit me than investigate. They also credit the account for that amount while the dispute is in progress. I can honestly say, I have never lost a dispute with AMex, they seem to be really on the consumer's side.

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.