Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merged Credit Files

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Merged Credit Files

Has anyone had an experience with TU credit bureau screwing up your credit files with a person with a similar name in the family or your spouse?  Can't make a long story short. check this out.

I recently began disputing inaccuracies on my credit report to boost my credit scores from the low 600's and while waiting to receive my 30 day response I decided to check my credit online.  I found that my credit report had been wiped clean--No credit history whatsoever--not even enough info to generate a fico score rating.  At the time I had quite a few collection accounts from my daugters car accident three years prior.  All of that was gone as well.  I thought that I had been given a second chance due to a computer gliche at TU.  Well to my surprise, that same rotten credit was somehow inadvertently place on my husbands good credit report and his good credit of over 19 years had vanished.  The only thing showing on his credit report were three derogatory items and 28 collection accounts.  When I called the bureau they claimed that the creditor had reported all of this information and that if we wanted it removed we would have to start a dispute(which I did) and then write to each of his creditors to ask them to report the good credit back to TU.  Ater several attempts and being past to various departments (special handling) i was told that it would be resolved.  No answers yet, I'm still waiting.  I thought we would be fine and I would just be adamant about them removing it because i knew it was the bureaus mistake and that the info was my previous bad credit.  But now he is starting to receive letters from some of his creditors that they would not be reissuing credit because of derogatory information they receive from TU upon reviewing his credit (which I guess they can do annually before deciding to reissue a card).  One particular creditor closed a 10k line of credit and we have been declined for recent credit.  I will post what the outcome is when I have results.  As of now we have three companies that we run and rely on personal and business credit. of which he can get neither at this point.  any feedback would be nice.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Merged Credit Files

TU recently had a computer system upgrade, and it sounds like you got stung by it. If you've already talked to special handling, then it sounds like you've already talked to the folks who can help. I'll hunt up a phone number and see if you've already been the same place.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a bunch,

whatever ammo i can get to use to challenge my cause, I'll take it.  I've spent a lot of time on the phone just on hold and then I'm told someone will get back with me.  My next step if not resolved is to file a complaint with the FTC.  but I'm hopeful it will get resolved sooner than later.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, I sure hope my problem doesn't end up as bad as yours.  I'm having to dispute a bunch of stuff because my ex-husband married a person with the same first name as me and now some of her bad credit is starting to show up on my perfect credit! 
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

toastergnome,

You might wanna be pro-active on this and file a police report. I'm not saying your ex and his new wife are doing anything untoward, but you cannot be too careful. In all likelihood, it's a screw up by the credit bureau, a creditor, a collector, or some combination thereof. Since you were at one time Mrs. Toastergnome Smith, and today you are Ms. Toastergnome Jones, it's likely the new Mrs. Toastergnome Smith's credit info is getting mixed in with yours.

As such, file a police report. Send a copy of the report to the credit bureaus, along with a copy of your Driver's License and SSN card, and dispute the accounts which are not yours.

Follow up with all your creditors. I presume you are now going by the name Ms. Toastergnome Jones (your maiden name) and not Mrs. Toastergnome Smith (your married name). Make certain all your creditors have your correct maiden name on file. If your Driver's License and SSN card still have your married name, you probably wanna get those updated.

With a police report on file, if it comes to it, you can request a freeze on your credit reports--depending upon the laws in your state.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the advice, Noah.  I will be filing a police report today.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.