cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Midland Credit Management writing to collect a date that is 3 months until the SOL is up?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Midland Credit Management writing to collect a date that is 3 months until the SOL is up?

Hi everyone!

First I want to say that I love these forums.  They've are very informative and sometimes even entertaining. Smiley Happy

Right now I have two baddies on my reports.  The one in question today is from 2001--an old catalog credit card that I made some charges to on a "no payments for six months" plan.  Well, long story short, I moved before that six months was up, and forgot about the credit card and those charges.  I know it sounds irresponsible of me, and it was--but in my defense, I was young, had just moved to New York, and this two days before 9/11.  My boyfriend at the time was there that day, and my life was pretty darn chaotic for about a year or so after that.  Anyway--long story short, I first checked my credit about a year ago, saw this old debt, and was advised against paying it because the SOL was a year from now.  In fact, EX says the debt is set to fall off in April of this year.

Well, Saturday I got a letter from Midland Credit Management, saying they have bought my debt, and want to settle.  THREE months before it's set to fall off my reports.  What would you advise I do?  Do you think there's any way I should try to argue a PFD?  Argue the SOL? Should I just ride it out until April, after the SOL has past?  Any chance they won't report at all?  Help!  I want to buy a house next year, and my scores are all in the 700s.  I don't want my score to plummet and reduce my chances of buying a house because of this.  I just want to do whatever I need to in order to make it go away!

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Cory
Established Contributor

Re: Midland Credit Management writing to collect a date that is 3 months until the SOL is up?

Read my topic on Mid. The thing about these guys is, that they will report it to the CRA's. They did it to me. They are wolves and scavegers.

Cory

Message Edited by Cory on 01-21-2008 09:39 AM
Message 2 of 3
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Midland Credit Management writing to collect a date that is 3 months until the SOL is up?

ohdollypop, don't confuse SOL & CRTP. Read the newbie threads. NY has SOL of six years across the board. Double check your CRs for DOLA/DOFD.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.