Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum requirements for an American Express CC

tag
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Minimum requirements for an American Express CC

Does anyone know what the minimum requirements are in order to be able to Get an American Express Credit Card? For example if you make $ 23,000.00 of income a year, have had 2 credit cards for 5 years, never been late, and your credit score is 740-Do I stand a chance????
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Minimum requirements for an American Express CC

From what I've been reading, I'd say you have a pretty good chance. If you want to be extra safe, apple for the Amex Delta sky (the easiest card to get) and then just convert it to what you really want.
Message 2 of 11
Nick777
Valued Member

Bob, I'd say you are in good shape...I think I was about 700 when I got mine...and its not like they can verify your income, as far as I know.
Message 3 of 11
Calamity
Established Member

CreditBob wrote:
Does anyone know what the minimum requirements are in order to be able to Get an American Express Credit Card? For example if you make $ 23,000.00 of income a year, have had 2 credit cards for 5 years, never been late, and your credit score is 740-Do I stand a chance????

Amex asks for your "household income," so if your married or have other relatives living with you, it's perfectly fine to take the total sum everyone's income and state it on your app.

Message Edited by Calamity on 07-12-2007 01:27 PM
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, always include TOTAL Household Income. That was part of my mistake in rebuilding credit, I was only listing my income, not the total of me and my wife. Combined we are at over $125K HHI, which looks a heck of a lot better to a creditor than just $60K.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Umm.......Amex can verify your income. They seem to be doing alot of Financial Reviews right now, which means they can/probably will call you or email you and request info from the IRS. Even if you just got the card and haven't even charged anything on it. Now, when they request the IRS info, they will only look at the cardholders tax info....not the whole entire household!!!!!!!! Just FYI!!!! Going through this with them right now. No worries, as I was honest....it's just a pain AND they freeze your accounts during this process!!!!

Phouchg wrote:
Yes, always include TOTAL Household Income. That was part of my mistake in rebuilding credit, I was only listing my income, not the total of me and my wife. Combined we are at over $125K HHI, which looks a heck of a lot better to a creditor than just $60K.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a Q's .. If I owe Am Ex 35 k and can't pay it ..??

If I owe Am Ex 35 k and can't pay it .And the balance has past in time about 11 years .... I assumed that all past dues will be deleted  and Am Ex still not accepting my application...  How  can I have new chance  and new start ,,, without paying the past due which I don't have ..  Thanks

Message 7 of 11
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: It's a Q's .. If I owe Am Ex 35 k and can't pay it ..??

@Anonymous wrote:

If I owe Am Ex 35 k and can't pay it .And the balance has past in time about 11 years .... I assumed that all past dues will be deleted  and Am Ex still not accepting my application...  How  can I have new chance  and new start ,,, without paying the past due which I don't have ..  Thanks

Nice for bumping a 5 year old topic you could've just started your own -_-;  

I'm not on a blacklist but my first Amex going from only secured cards is a BCP with 5500 limit, I was added as an ACM on my father's account and made 90% of the purchases and 100% of the payments PIF I'm pretty sure that helped. It shows you can be responsible.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 8 of 11
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:
Nice for bumping a 5 year old topic you could've just started your own -_-;  

1) It's apparently not the forum's only one today. Smiley Surprised Smiley Very Happy

2) Prosper 01-01-2008

3) Equifax phone number 11-04-2009

Message 9 of 11
pat0812
Regular Contributor

Hey

You should be fine for AMEX

5 year history with no baddies and 740 score. I think it's a easy yes

Just make sure to have a low UTI before applying

FICO 8's EX 770 EQ 751 TU 771 (1/16/17)
Amex Gold Premier rewards ( Charge Card)
Amex Blue cash - $47,800 Wells Fargo - $15,000 Citibank Simplicity - $13,800 Barclays Apple - $13,000 Walmart Mastercard - $8000 Chase Slate - $7,200 Discover It - $5,500 Capital One - $5,250
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.