Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minors and Credit reports

tag
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

Minors and Credit reports

My daughter turned 18 on the 5th of May. I had her pull her credit reports just to make sure that no one has ever used her ID and such, so she will have a good start with credit. What I found was several collection accounts from medical issues going back to when she was 15 or so. While I should be having any issues with medical anything addressed to me while she is a minor, how in the heck can they get away with reporting the kid as in collection? I can't find anything anywhere about minors and credit reports - even the FTC didn't know of any laws or rules regarding minors. These collection people really get me ticked off for doing this to my child. Anyone know the law about this kind of thing? I know a minor can't enter into a contract, but how the heck do the credit agencies even let this happen?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Minors and Credit reports

Chris123nTx wrote:
My daughter turned 18 on the 5th of May. I had her pull her credit reports just to make sure that no one has ever used her ID and such, so she will have a good start with credit. What I found was several collection accounts from medical issues going back to when she was 15 or so. While I should be having any issues with medical anything addressed to me while she is a minor, how in the heck can they get away with reporting the kid as in collection? I can't find anything anywhere about minors and credit reports - even the FTC didn't know of any laws or rules regarding minors. These collection people really get me ticked off for doing this to my child. Anyone know the law about this kind of thing? I know a minor can't enter into a contract, but how the heck do the credit agencies even let this happen?

Dispute it. A minor cannont enter into a binding contract.
Message 2 of 6
Boswd
Valued Contributor

They can enter into contracts but they are deemed VOIDABLE.
Message 3 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I have been working as an office manager for a physician for eight years.  What has happened to you is CLEARLY AN OUTRAGEOUS MISTAKE.  Since your daughter was 15 at the time it was sent to collections, you are responsible.  In healthcare industry, you the parent are the "guarantor."  You can easily dispute this!
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I work in the medical field as well.  What probably has happened is when your child was registered for her visit(s), someone didn't pay attention to the fact that the patient was a minor and listed her as the guarantor, instead of you.  Since she was under age when all of this happened, you should be able to contact the medical provider and point out their mistake and demand that they remove these entries from your daughter's credit reports and bill you accordingly.   At the time these charges were incurred, you were responsible and she was underage so you shouldn't encounter HIPAA issues.   If you do get the run around, you should go with her to the office(s) and speak with managers.

This happened to me after my daughter was born.  Bills kept coming to my home in her name.  I wrote a letter that basically said 'I'm sorry but I'm only a few weeks old.  When I am old enough to get a job, I'll be sure to send in the payment.'   Within two weeks, the same bills came back, this time in MY name.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like your garden-variety clerical error to me.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.