Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Montgomery Ward Credit - Online Ordering

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Montgomery Ward Credit - Online Ordering

For us older folks, rember Montgomery Ward? The easy credit, and all American general shopping! I got an email from Montgomery Ward inviting me to online shop and use their credit. How nostalgic! Has anyone tried this? Do they soft pull for the credit check? Does the account report with bureaus? Anyone have experience with it?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Montgomery Ward Credit - Online Ordering

Wow, I sure do remember Montgomery Ward. For some reason my dad didn't like Sears and preferred Montgomery Ward. It looks like it might be a sp SCT as it says to ad items to your cart, select Wards credit at checkout, and "answer a few simple questions". But I have no idea and no interest. I looked through the terms and credit seems to be extended by Wards, not someone like Comenity or Synchrony. 

I don't know when they went out of business, just remember there were suddenly no more Montgomery Ward stores. Wikipedia has a pretty good article on their history. The CEO after the end of WWII was expecting a recession and cut back expanding any new stores, letting Sears, JC Penney, etc. get the upper hand as the post WWII economy boomed instead of busting.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks DaveInAz for the reply! I actually see something I would order. But, I don't want an inquiry. I remember way back I did the SCT for Bill Me Later (now Paypal Credit), just 2 questions and approved. But Whamo! A hard credit pull afterward. So, hopefully one of wonderful folks on my fico will have experience to share about the {new} Wards credit.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I ordered from them 2 years ago. It never even showed up on my credit report (Neither SP or HP, it was more like a hidden tradeline for me.) I only ordered once because every time I would try to make a payment, the website never found my account (by phone they never found it either). About a month later, I recieved a late notice in the mail (I got hit with a late fee also) after constantly calling and checking online to make a payment . Then (and only then) did they magically find my account. I paid them off and said never again. Thankfully it didn't show up because I didn't need the late posting.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you kdperry for the reply! I was hopeful it maybe was a good way for people to rebuild credit or start new credit...sounds like NOT! I did find ome more out from my fico, old posts on the internet. Seems like it is a HP (they do ask for full SS#). but the account does not report. Appears this MW account is the same type of accounts managed by Swiss Colony, Night Velvet, Ginnys...etc.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just for the heck of it, I'll ruin people's Christmas (or delight the curious, as I was when I found out) and let people know, if they did not already, that Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer is actually a creation of the Montgomery Ward department store.

I'm a millenial and I remember MW. I had no idea they were still around. I guess they're basically an online-only retailer now? Has anyone actually shopped there before and is their merch any good at decent prices? (The only thing I can think of off-top-of-head that I'd buy anytime soon to look up there is something that is technically exclusive to Sears.)

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I must have missed the HP amongst the many I had at that time. Lol. I ordered a personalized luggage set. The zipper broke my second time using it. The prices were really cheap though. OK merchandise. I may have just had a weird glitch that time I ordered, but I still won't chance don't business with them again.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I must have missed the HP amongst the many I had at that time. Lol. I ordered a personalized luggage set. The zipper broke my second time using it. The prices were really cheap though. OK merchandise. I may have just had a weird glitch that time I ordered, but I still won't chance doing business with them again.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey! 

@Anonymous wrote:

Just for the heck of it, I'll ruin people's Christmas (or delight the curious, as I was when I found out) and let people know, if they did not already, that Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer is actually a creation of the Montgomery Ward department store.

I'm a millenial and I remember MW. I had no idea they were still around. I guess they're basically an online-only retailer now? Has anyone actually shopped there before and is their merch any good at decent prices? (The only thing I can think of off-top-of-head that I'd buy anytime soon to look up there is something that is technically exclusive to Sears.)

I also remember Montgomery Wards, and recently found their online store. Seems like they still have similar offerings (some affordable and stylish luggage too).  

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

About 3 years ago, whilst rebuilding , I did open an account with Montgomery wards. I simply chose what I wanted into cart (under$500 at that time) & I was approved for full financing.

Very high interest. Very overpriced merchandise, but st that time, I needed what I got & I paid it off within 3 months.

Upon opening account it was never a HP!
At that time I made payments to Swiss colony website and it was NOT reported in any of the 3 CB’s.

About, 6 months ago, I got a notice from Swiss colony stating they would start reporting to all 3 major CB’s & they urged me to reorder, increasing my CL to $1500 which was odd, as I initiated NOTHING!!!
Just in case they did this I ordered a bed in a bag for $89 to have minor utilization & to see what happened.

I’ve watched it closely via my credit monitoring processes, and they’ve done all they said they were going to. The CLI helped my score and two months ago it switched from Swiss colony to Montgomery Wards on all 3 major CB reporting. They also informed me of that change in advance.

This was all positive for me.very overpriced, but at that time, it served its purpose.

Their bed and bath clearances are worth it. Other items, if not on clearance are very overpriced!

In My original order, I got a shark navigator vacuum, and it’s the best vacuum I’ve ever owned. Im simply shocked every week after I vacuum at how much dust/dirt is I the canister! I simply push a button, empty it, take about 5 pieces apart, spray it out with soap and water with outside hose, dry filters overnight and reuse!

Prolly, one of my better purchases!!
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.