Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Credit Questions!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

More Credit Questions!

As I am learning about how to manage my credit on this site, I am coming up with more and more questions!

I might have asked this before but.. I have a utility collection that I have tried painstakingly for them to PFD but they have refused each and every single time.  On my credit report, it is NOT listed under the collections section but under the accounts section, and states a balance of $487.  Knowing this, would it boost my credit score much by having it paid so that it doesnt report as a "past due balance"? 

Also, another question.  The other derogs on my report are 30 day lates on one or two credit cards.  This happened more than 2 yrs ago, so I am assuming they are not hurting my scores by much?

And last but not least, I have had a few 30 day lates and a 60 day late on my student loan (big misunderstanding) and they are NOT willing to goodwill..  Would it be much help if I tried to dispute this with the credit bureaus?  One of the loans has recently been consolidated which means paid off, does this affect my score positively as well, or does it not make a difference?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: More Credit Questions!

On the Utility CA- Have you tried contacting the OC?

Yes- After 2 years the 30's count nil and the 60's go to minor derogs-

Use caution disputing valid lates- it can come back and bite ya. These guys always seem to find a late they forgot to report. Did you consolidate with the same company or a different one?

@Anonymous wrote:
As I am learning about how to manage my credit on this site, I am coming up with more and more questions!
I might have asked this before but.. I have a utility collection that I have tried painstakingly for them to PFD but they have refused each and every single time. On my credit report, it is NOT listed under the collections section but under the accounts section, and states a balance of $487. Knowing this, would it boost my credit score much by having it paid so that it doesnt report as a "past due balance"?
Also, another question. The other derogs on my report are 30 day lates on one or two credit cards. This happened more than 2 yrs ago, so I am assuming they are not hurting my scores by much?
And last but not least, I have had a few 30 day lates and a 60 day late on my student loan (big misunderstanding) and they are NOT willing to goodwill.. Would it be much help if I tried to dispute this with the credit bureaus? One of the loans has recently been consolidated which means paid off, does this affect my score positively as well, or does it not make a difference?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy- Thanks so much for your input.  The Utility collection is the original creditor.  It was a PG&E bill, and now they've transferred the account to their closing bill unit.  I will continue to try though.  In your opinion, should I just pay it and have the past due amount reported as $0? Will this help me?  It will get it over with and the account can age from there..? 

I wanted to dispute the lates because, the loans were supposed to be consolidated and they consolidation company left out one of my loans and instructed me not to pay the statement if I received it because they were going to have them consolidated.  Needless to say, this wasn't done. 
Message 3 of 4
jennarayen
Valued Member

Is that true that 30 day lates don't effect score after 2 year.  So I really shouldn't worry to much about the lates that happen in  2005 as it will be two years in a few weeks here.  Not that I still don't want them off but to boost credit faster I should focus on any 06/07 lates.  That would be great as there are only 3, 04 and 05 were the bad years.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.