cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most bizarre thing happened when I applied for a loan

tag
josh9955

Most bizarre thing happened when I applied for a loan

I have a 750 FICO score and have tons of accounts but when I applied for a loan today the report she pulled only has two accounts!  Both were collection accounts that dropped off my reports over a year ago.     I have maybe 20 other positive accounts and the only thing she could see on my report were the two collection accounts so I was denied.

What the heck???

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Re: Most bizarre thing happened when I applied for a loan

Must be a split file.  You will have to call the CRA to have that fixed.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 2 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I'd suspect that too. Was this EQ?

Message 3 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If they dropped based on expiration of the credit report exclusion period, then the CRA has committed a rather serious violation of FCRA 605(a)(4) by including them in any credit report provided to others.

The CRA should fall all over themseleves to correct the mistake, whatever the basis.

I would couch any contact with them as a complaint of violation of the FCRA exclusion requirement, which is imposed directly on the CRAs.

Message 4 of 10
josh9955

yep, equifax.

Message 5 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@josh9955 wrote:

yep, equifax.

EQ is notorious for split files. Your CR file is allotted but so much space and data. If you have many accounts and several soft and hard inquiries, it'll split your file to make room for all the data. As a result, you can pull your CR one day and see 20 accts, for example, and pull the next and only see a couple. 

I've never been through this, but others have documented their results in here. It can be fixed by contacting EQ and they'll go over your reports line by line and determine how to piece it together.

Message 6 of 10
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Josh995,

Is the address where you applied for the other 20 accounts the same one as the one used on the loan app? I presume the social security number is the same as well.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 7 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would send a formal complaint to the FTC for violation of FCRA 605(a), with a cc: to the CRA.

That should get some butts in gear.......

Message 8 of 10
josh9955

Thanks guys.   It was indeed a split EQ file!

Took a while (one EQ guy even told me there is nothing they can do and i'll have to live with it!), but I kept calling and someone fixed it for me.

Message 9 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@josh9955 wrote:

(one EQ guy even told me there is nothing they can do and i'll have to live with it!)

Smiley Surprised    Glad you remained persistent.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.