cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple listing question. Already asked but thought I'd try again.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Multiple listing question. Already asked but thought I'd try again.

So, I had a credit card charged off in 2004 and the account has now been sold twice to different CA's. I called the OC and they will not take any kind of payment from me. They say they no longer have an account with me since they sold it. I have read online that I should not pay the CA's. Is this true? I want to take care of this but don't see how I can. The original amount I defaulted on was around 4,000 but the CA's are saying I owe over 8,000 and another one says I owe over 11,000. I sent DV letters to both CA's at the end of Jan. Both CA's are showing I owe them money and if I am correct once an agency sells it they have to report a 0 balance. Is this correct? The first CA that bought my account refused to take any kind of payments and since the second agency wants over 11,000 I haven't even bothered paying them. Soooooo, since this account is past the sol and the OC will not take my money should I just wait for this to fall off of my credit? If I do make payments won't it be worse for my credit since it will start the sol over and also even if I pay the CA won't it stay on my credit report for 7 years from the date I paid it? One last question. Since the OC won't take my money and has sold the account should it still be on my credit report or should it come off?  They are showing that I owe them the original 4,000 along with the other two amounts. My report now shows that I have over 20,000 in collections when I don't. Other than DV'ing the CA's does anyone have any advice?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Multiple listing question. Already asked but thought I'd try again.

tko2341 wrote:
So, I had a credit card charged off in 2004 and the account has now been sold twice to different CA's. I called the OC and they will not take any kind of payment from me. They say they no longer have an account with me since they sold it. I have read online that I should not pay the CA's. Is this true? I want to take care of this but don't see how I can. The original amount I defaulted on was around 4,000 but the CA's are saying I owe over 8,000 and another one says I owe over 11,000. I sent DV letters to both CA's at the end of Jan. Both CA's are showing I owe them money and if I am correct once an agency sells it they have to report a 0 balance. Is this correct? The first CA that bought my account refused to take any kind of payments and since the second agency wants over 11,000 I haven't even bothered paying them. Soooooo, since this account is past the sol and the OC will not take my money should I just wait for this to fall off of my credit? If I do make payments won't it be worse for my credit since it will start the sol over and also even if I pay the CA won't it stay on my credit report for 7 years from the date I paid it? One last question. Since the OC won't take my money and has sold the account should it still be on my credit report or should it come off?  They are showing that I owe them the original 4,000 along with the other two amounts. My report now shows that I have over 20,000 in collections when I don't. Other than DV'ing the CA's does anyone have any advice?

The CO date doesn't matter   what is the DOFD or DOLA   make sure to keep hard copies of CR  showing these dates.

Only 1 CA  can report to a CRA at a time!!!!

Since the account was sold you can not deal with the OC!

When 1 CA sells to another  the first can not report!!!!

If you have answers from both CAs  look at the letters & see if they are showing the same account # from the OC........IF they are  dispute with CRAs as dup. send copies of both letters showing that they are the same   tell them to delete

SOL and CRTP go by DOFD or DOLA    do you know what they are?  CAs are known to re-age them

IF you pay 1 CA  and they do not own it anymore or never did   you might find that you have to pay the correct one AGAIN.   That is why the DV is so important!!!!!

The account will drop off your CR  approx. 7 years from DOFD (set by the OC) no matter if you pay it or not!

IF you are past SOL they can not file a lawsuit  but it can stay on CR till DOFD or DOLA.

Do you have copy of CR showing OC?
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait for the answers on the DVs - CA1 will say 'no longer own'  etc - they may even update to zero (they should remove, but that may be a contest), CA2 should be able to justify the money (probably fees and excessive interest).  Paying will not change the drop date nor should it change the SOL date it will show a different DOLA (which can hurt on 1 bureau for dropping off).
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

My credit report shows my first delinquency as Jan of 2004 so I guess it was charged off later. Before I joined this site I tried to dispute them online. Now both of the CA's show that the open dates are 2006 and 2007 and that they are verified and will remain on my report until sept and oct of 2011. I did the online disputes almost a year ago I think. I haven't received any responses to my DV's yet. I will post what they say if they do respond. If they don't respond does this mean both need to be deleted from my reports? This is such a mess. My fault I know, but more of a mess than bargained for.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also just wanted to say that I love this site. Everybody is so helpful. Thank you so much to anyone who responds. I am becoming more educated everyday!!!Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.