Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Plan To Pay Off Installment Accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Plan To Pay Off Installment Accounts

I hope this is the correct forum, if not please move this thread. I wanted to get some input on my plan to pay off two installment accounts.  One is a personal loan for $4100 balance at 16.99% and the other is an auto loan for $3500 balance at 13.45%.  I have recently received two credit cards that will take these balances at zero percent interest for 12 months.  I've never done a balance transfer before because I don't have credit card debt, just installment loans.  So this is new to me.  So even though these are installment accounts and not revolving credit cards, I was told they would do the balance transfers. My goal then is to pay $650/month for twelve months to pay them off.  Then I will have zero debt when I go to apply for a mortgage this time next year.  How bad will it hurt my FICO for not having installment accounts open when I apply for a mortgage next year?  I know my debt to credit limit ratio (it would be 70%) will make a HUGE drop in my FICO because I'm putting $7600 of debt on credit cards, but I will not need to apply for any credit for the next year.  I'm set on credit cards and plan on keeping the current auto I will pay off with the balance transfer.  I'm basically trying to take advantage of the zero percent offer.  Worst case that I don't get all the $7600 paid off in twelve months I will post pone applying for a mortgage and just apply for another credit card with a zero percent balance transfer offer. 

My three FICOs currently average 725 because of short credit history.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Plan To Pay Off Installment Accounts

You need to consider what would happen if you did not payoff the balance in 12 months.

My Opinion - If you can afford to make that large of a payment, why not just pay that amount on the exsisting loans?  If you paid them off in 12 months then you are not actually paying the rate that is on the contract.

I think that the small amount of interest that you would pay for 12 months would be well worth it if you were able to have some flexability.  Just in case of a "hiccup".
Message 2 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

You might not want to have them completely paid off. FICO likes to see some installment activity. I had two student loans, one much smaller than the other. I paid off the little one, but I'm letting the other one stay until I'm ready to get a car loan.

I have read the FICO likes seeing non-mortgage installment debt under 50% of the original balance, so you might want to pay one off and leave less than half due on the other. Move enough over that you have minimal interest payments, though. I think mortgage lenders ignore installments with less than 6 months to payoff, but that's separate from FICO scoring.

Please check around these forums using the search option, though; the whole installment portion of FICO scoring is sort of murky, because revolving/ CC gets all the excitement! You might also visit the Loans board, although it does get tilted pretty strongly toward mortgage discussion. Hope that helps!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fizzle, look at the pie chart in the "Credit Education" section of the menu bar at top of page. You will see that 10% of your Fico score is based on types of credit.

Lenders like to see a mix of credit instruments in your credit file, and how you are handling those.

It is purely logical to pay off an installment note to improve your debt posture. Butt paying off installment loans can actually cause your score to drop in some instances. It did with me. Last August I paid off 2 car loans, and my scores actually dropped.

IMO, you'd be best served by using your new credit cards very responsibly, build some history on them, while keeping the utilization to 10% or less. While continuing to make payments on your installment notes.

Just my opinion. Hope that helps. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like your answer hauling. Of course I would. We said about the same thing. Smiley Very Happy

(look at the time stamp at the bottom. too funny)

And good morning to you.

Message Edited by Sylviatob on 11-07-2007 04:23 AM
Message 5 of 11
Dawn
Established Contributor

This FICO score business certainly is challenging.  While I understand the precautions everyone tends to take in order to try to maximize their FICO scores, I find it rather frustrating to see so many different end results.  As we compare our experiences to others, we never know if we are comparing apples to apples ... and certainly find it difficult to anticipate what FICO will do.  The encouraging thing about Mortgage Loans is that your score may get you in the door, but a manual review of your reports and other factors important to your lender will dictate the final outcome.

FWIW, several years ago when we purchased a new home, my DH's ScorePower Equifax Beacon score was 799.  We had no recent installment loans and our prior mortgage had been paid off years earlier.  For many years, the only revolving credit card that we had used was our VISA, excluding the variety of store cards available to us.  And ... that particular VISA card was not even reported to EQ. 

I don't know what the FICO scores were with TU and EX because I never checked.  It would be interesting to know whether they were higher or lower since our VISA was reporting to them (Balance $2500 with CL of $9000.)

In spite of the lack of currently open installment or mortgage accounts and only one revolving account reporting a balance (only through TU and EX) we sailed through the process of obtaining our mortgage loan at the best possible rate and terms.  However, YMMV because we aren't comparing apples to apples.  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I have decided on paying $3850 towards the personal loan that is charging me 16.99% interest. Which will leave me with a balance of $305 on the loan to pay it off over the next few months.  It was recently opened in 06/07 and I feel I'm paying to much in interest. 

The auto loan was opened in 06/05 and I've paid $300/month extra towards principal and knocked it down real quick.  Then I requested a re-am and they did it.  So my monthly note dropped from $315 to $200 but was still over the original loan terms.  Which is good because I'm keeping the installment account open and paying $50 a week now towards it. 

Both loans are through Capital One and after having a credit card with them for two years and never being late, they refused to give a credit increase period.  I was never late on my auto loan or personal loan either.  So along with wanting to pay off my debts I also want to "punish" Cap One for not honoring my request by not giving them that 16.99% interest. 
Message 7 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Sylviatob wrote:
I like your answer hauling. Of course I would. We said about the same thing. Smiley Very Happy

(look at the time stamp at the bottom. too funny)

And good morning to you.

*yawn* And you're an hour behind me! (Texas, right?) Notice how much shorter your reply is! I've gotta work on that, somethign fierce... Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Fizzle1979 wrote:
Well I have decided on paying $3850 towards the personal loan that is charging me 16.99% interest. Which will leave me with a balance of $305 on the loan to pay it off over the next few months.  It was recently opened in 06/07 and I feel I'm paying to much in interest. 

The auto loan was opened in 06/05 and I've paid $300/month extra towards principal and knocked it down real quick.  Then I requested a re-am and they did it.  So my monthly note dropped from $315 to $200 but was still over the original loan terms.  Which is good because I'm keeping the installment account open and paying $50 a week now towards it. 

Both loans are through Capital One and after having a credit card with them for two years and never being late, they refused to give a credit increase period.  I was never late on my auto loan or personal loan either.  So along with wanting to pay off my debts I also want to "punish" Cap One for not honoring my request by not giving them that 16.99% interest. 

Sounds like a plan! And if I hadn't have been so coffee-less when I posted earlier (we ran out of coffee! Smiley Surprised ), I would have added: don't pay crazy interest just in an attempt to make the FICO gods happy, and I've read here repeatedly that any FICO scores at 720 or so are good enough for the best interest rate going, anyway.

* Note to self: pick up coffee on way home *
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just wanted to post my FICO score I pulled this week. 

11/29/07 - 746 EQ
11/27/07 - 752 EX
11/28/07 - 713 TU
No negative information left on my credit reports.  I'll be happy with all three hit 760.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.