Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Q your A: Collection Efforts

tag
TryingVeryHard
Frequent Contributor

My Q your A: Collection Efforts

I know that it is mandatory for a CA to state in their first correspondence the following notice:

Unless you notify this office within 30 days after receiving this notice that you dispute the validity of the debt or any portion thereof ...

My Question: Is it legal for them to send 2 collection letters, and make telephone calls with an attempt to collect a debt, before the 30th day? Or should they wait until the 30 days expire before they can "assume" that the debt is valid and continue on their collection attempt?

Thanks
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Q your A: Collection Efforts

TryingVeryHard wrote:
I know that it is mandatory for a CA to state in their first correspondence the following notice:

Unless you notify this office within 30 days after receiving this notice that you dispute the validity of the debt or any portion thereof ...

My Question: Is it legal for them to send 2 collection letters, and make telephone calls with an attempt to collect a debt, before the 30th day? Or should they wait until the 30 days expire before they can "assume" that the debt is valid and continue on their collection attempt?

Thanks

They are allowed to continue collection efforts if you don't request validation in the first 30 days.  That includes letters, phone calls, credit reporting, etc.

Once you request validation (within the 30-day period), then they must cease collection efforts until they provide the validation to you, regardless of how long that takes.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.