Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My SSN stolen to open account using someone else's name

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My SSN stolen to open account using someone else's name

I just found out that someone used my SSN to open an account in another state. This person used a different set of first and middle names and my last name with my SSN. The account is now delinquent and shows up on my credit report. I've been denied credit (that's how I found out about this), and if it hadn't been for that I would have not known until next year when I get my free credit report.

1) I didn't know it was even possible to open accounts of any sort using an SSN that doesn't match the name provided. How in the world did this happen?? $2870 on a cell phone or cable account in another state under someone else's name!!

2) I've submitted a dispute to the credit agency, the company in question listed on my report, a police report, the ftc. Is there anything else I must do?

3) the company that is listed on my credit report is a collection agency. I called them and they will not give me any information because my name does not match the thief's name...they found the account using my ssn because my name was not coming up in their system, and they still refused to give me any information. Are they correct to do this? Deny me of info when there is obvious fraudulence at stake?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: My SSN stolen to open account using someone else's name

My suggestion would be to send a copy of the police report to the CA and ask them to remove the file from your credit report.

If they refuse to do so, then make noises about being a party to fraud since they know it was a case of identity theft (you provided the police report to them) and ask for a copy of the entire file that they have.  ALL of the information!

Once you have that, take that to the police and have it added on as a supplemental report.   

Message 2 of 3
dharalex
Established Contributor

Re: My SSN stolen to open account using someone else's name

I had something similar happen to me. Someone used my cc to set up a book order. When I started getting all these books, I called the company. They found the account, but refused to give me any information since I said it wasn't mine. They are showing allegiance to the thief? Really? It got settled, but I had to close my account and open a new one, fill out affidavits, etc.

I wish you luck. You must be aggressive and relentless. I agree with a police report. Nothing will happen in your favor without it. It may take a bit, but it will get resolved.

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.