Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My credit journey as a non-resident

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: My credit journey as a non-resident

Can you provide a bit of clarification........?

When applying for U.S. based cards and using an address of another in the U.S., are you implying or is the creditor assuming you are residing at that address, or do they clearly know that you are not a U.S. resident?

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I was banking with BOA since 2011 have a checking and savings account and used their debit card a lot, so I've always had the relationship with them, and they know that I am not a US citizen/resident. 

American Express did not asked me if I am a resident or not,  however they did an FR on me, where they asked questions and they did not accept my non- US based salary / income which resulted in limiting my gold card to 3100$.  They also told me they are monitoring the usage everytime and they could possibly release the spending limit on the card.  I do not have cards from other banks as yet so I don't know if they will ask me if I am a resident or not.  Half of my family lives in the US, that is why I am using their address as mine.  

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

newhis, thank you for your advice, I already tried to apply to Alliant for a checking and savings account, but I got the message that the application needs manual review which should take 2 business days and might need additional information from me. I am really looking forward to the secured loan to add it to my mix! 

Message 13 of 18
newhis
Valued Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Can you provide a bit of clarification........?

When applying for U.S. based cards and using an address of another in the U.S., are you implying or is the creditor assuming you are residing at that address, or do they clearly know that you are not a U.S. resident?

Well, not having a SSN is a clear sign that you are not a resident and that you can't work in the USA.

BofA ask for my home country address. Discover (since a few weeks ago) ask to fill another question in your profile about your nationality.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover won't touch you.

I have an SSN and live in the US but my wife does not. She's resident in the US but only has an ITIN. My work visa doesn't allow her to work, she can only go to school or do charity work.

Discover happily issued me a card but they refused to even add her as an Authorized User without SSN.

CITI on the other hand happily issued her a Costco Visa card even without me on the application, she got it on her own with the ITIN.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

By the way, not having an SSN doesn't mean you don't have US income. My wife doesn't work but has multiple sources of income.

First we own a home in Canada which she collects rent on. Second she has investments in a US brokerage that she collects dividends on. She also has an IRA. Finally we file our taxes "married filing jointly" so she can effectively claim my income on applications since it's legally joint income.

Message 16 of 18
newhis
Valued Contributor

Canadian-in-Seattle, thank you for your information you are rigth, I left out some important information.

My Discover card is almost 3 years old. I got it with ITIN and I had to call to get it (online application error with ITIN). Since then they changed policy and now they don't allow, as you said, new apps or even AUs with ITIN. Discover is by far my highest limit card.

Yes, with ITIN you can have income. Good information with filling taxes.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello
Interesting thread.
Do you also fill the w-8ben form as non resident ?
For me, I had a boa debit card for couple of years, and now I applied to their credit card and been approved immediately with a 1500$ Limit
From your experience, what would be your suggestion ? How can I check my current credit score (for free) ?

Thanks !
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.