Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My credit over the past two years

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My credit over the past two years

Two years ago I went to get a loan on a car as the first thing I ever put on my credit. When they pulled my file they found that my ex wife had put her debts on my credit and that the child support agency had reported inaccurate information about my payment history stating that I had never paid and owed 3300 dollars back child support, when in fact I had bank statements of every single payment. at this point my highest score was a 509 and I had to get my mom to get a loan and add me as a cosigner instead of opening one in my name.

I over time had the issues fixed on my credit including having 4 collections removed due to forged signature on guarantor documentation and proved that I wasn't married to her at the time of her using my information. It took me a year to, but I got the payment history corrected on all the CRA's. I after getting all of this removed opened a Credit One credit card and a Kay credit card. I used the Kay credit to buy my new wife a better wedding ring than what I was able to buy at the time of our engagement and the Credit One card I paid off every month. 

1 year ago I opened a Capital One card that now has a 1.3k limit and then 5 months later opened the Quicksilver One card with a 500 limit. I kept all my balances low on the cards and brought my scores up to the 660's

3 months ago I opened a loan with VW credit to buy a new car and traded in the car that I had a loan on before. I went with a higher interest rate, but needed a new car badly, so I accepted the rate. 

1 month ago I applied for multiple cards in the same 3 day period, because I just wanted to have a card with a reasonable limit. I was approved for Amex Everyday with a 3k limit, Chase Freedom with a 4.5k limi, and Barclaycard Arrival with a 5k limit. Opening these cards my scores jumped to what you see in my signature. The only card I applied for and didn't get was Discover IT card. I don't really care if I get it, but it would be a nice card to have. 

I don't utilize my credit much, but I pay everything with a credit card and pay it off before it reports to the CRA's. I sometimes will leave a few hundred dollars on one, but never more than I know I can pay off the next month. I have savings that I don't touch unless I need to and have a well funded IRA considering how young I am. I am changing jobs at the moment to a higher paying job and will start funding my 401k at that job as soon as I am elligible. 

I know that improving my score at this point is just paying my bills and waiting for credit line increases, so I'm not planning on applying for any more cards till 6 months has passed and I can refinance my new car at a better rate first. I know my story of credit is not that impressive and my credit report has way more inquiries than most people have, but I am proud of how far I have taken it so quickly. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jbsea
Established Contributor

Re: My credit over the past two years

It is always good to hear good stories.  Congrats on getting things turned around. Now that you have some nice prime cards I would get rid of that Credit One card  You have moved beyond that card.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am closing it soon. I have my wife as an authorized user on it, so I'm waiting for the new card from Chase to come in for my wife. At that point I'm closing Credit One. It did help me build credit, but I ended up paying 217 dollars last year in fees/ interest on that card and never carried a balance from month to month on it. It's just got an aggressive way of calculating interest that is against the consumer. 

Message 3 of 7
EdMan63
Established Contributor

That's a great story that I can relate to given the ex wife stuff. My ex was an AU on a Sears card I had and forgot about until I went to ask for a CLI on my Visa and the lady told me I had a late pay on the card. Late pay??? She had charged over $800.00 on the card and was 30 days. Talk about pissed.

I'm in the process of rebuilding as well and have one CO I'm waiting to fall off in a couple years resulting from my divorce. Scores should really go though the roof then as I have never had bad credit other than the CO. I have a couple of good cards to hold me over until I feel like my needs change. Just let time take care of the sins of the past.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah. I got the main cards I wanted. I wanted something in the door with AMEX and I wanted the Chase Freedom for rewards. I am glad they gave me reasonable credit lines, because paying a credit card down 3 times a month was getting tiresome. Having some credit actually makes it easier to manage what you have. Since recently opening those accounts I'm much less stressed about where my accounts are. I know I can just log in once a month to the main ones and pay them to be good. My monthly expenses total 3400 a month including rent that I can pay on AMEX, so using a credit card for rewards on everything is very rewarding. The rest of my income goes to savings/ retirement.

I'm only 24 and I'm an IT professional. I've worked hard in a lot of ways to get to the point I am and know that many others do the same thing every day.

Good luck with your ex. I know that can be a real pain. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

3 months ago I opened a loan with VW credit to buy a new car and traded in the car that I had a loan on before. I went with a higher interest rate, but needed a new car badly, so I accepted the rate. 

How long did it take for VW to start reporting?  I just signed a lease with them and was curious as to when they would report.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How long did it take for VW to start reporting?  I just signed a lease with them and was curious as to when they would report.

it took 4 months from the time I opened the loan for it to report. I refinanced it before the 2nd time it reported and it reported paid the 2nd time it reported. My credit union gave me a loan at 2.25, so I'm much happier now. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.