Did you mean: 

My experience freezing my credit reports

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My experience freezing my credit reports

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

myFICO is unable to pull through my EX freeze. I do still get monitoring alerts and score updates, but if/when I try to purchase a new 3B report, I get an error for EX and they refund me the cost of the EX portion of the report. I placed my freeze after I was already signed up for monitoring though.

I have the opposite experience.

I just got notified that my auto loan finally started reporting on Experian, and that a collection had just been added (**bleep**???), even though my reports are frozen. I guess it's a YMMV sort of thing. 

That's really baffling, DeeBee!  YMMV makes sense when it is accounting for the way that a highly tuned model like FICO behaves, where it has many different scorecards and so on, and therefore may score Bob's 1 inquiry differently than Susan's.  But the question here is whether the myFICO product can access the data on a frozen Experian report.  It would seem like it should be simple: either it can or it can't.  It shouldn't be able to access Bob's but not Susan's.

Weird!

Does anyone else have any experiences with this?

Message 11 of 14
6speed8
Regular Contributor

I didn't realize you can request a freeze just because you want to. I thought it was if you were a victim of identity theft - which I was. I've got all three flagged with the Extended Fraud Alerts for 7 years - included all documentation, police report,etc. When I received the packet from Experian, it includes a page that says to add the credit freeze, I need to get a copy of the full police report, not just the online summary printed from the police department website. I had to put in an online request to the Records Department for that and still waiting for it.

CH 7 Discharged 6/10/15
T/U - 643
EQ - 588
Ex - 647 as of 6/14/15
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The distinction is typically one of cost.  If you have a victim of identity theft (and have whatever supporting documents they want) then the freeze is free (as is the cost of thawing it I think).  But anyone can request one, and in some states the cost is pretty small.

Message 13 of 14
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

1) I can pull EQ and TU with a freeze in place.  I must temporarily thaw EX if I want to pull a report here from MyFICO.

2) In regards to the 3B monitoring, I get frequent updates on EQ and TU with freeze in place while EX gives me occasional updates.

3) With a freeze in place, none of my lenders have been able to conduct a HP on my credit reports.  I must first temporarily lift the freeze for that to happen.  However, I believe all my lenders can SP through the freeze as I have not received notification otherwise.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.