cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My niece has a problem .Does anyone know how to get eviction removed from a background/tenant check?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My niece has a problem .Does anyone know how to get eviction removed from a background/tenant check?

My niece while very young did not handle responsibility well. She and her husband were almost evicted from their apartment. They did not actually post the eviction notice but I guess the papers had already been filed.  This was about 4 years ago she has since paid the amount due to the property manager for the apartments.  She has 3 children with a 4th on the way. She does not know how to get this off of her history. The eviction does not show up on her credit history only on the background or whatever check they are doing.

Will it eventually fall off and can it be removed if she proves she paid it?  I have no exprience with anything like this. She has a good job but can't find anyone to rent to her. Someone told me she needed to go the courthouse and ask for it to be vacated. Is this the way to go? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: My niece has a problem .Does anyone know how to get eviction removed from a background/tenant ch

Normally, if she has paid the amount due on the judgment and had a sucessful rental history since the eviction, it will over ride the eviction notation.

She may need to rent from a private landlord rather than a large corporate run apartment complex. I have found some of the apartment complexes are less forgiving (I'm a Realtor and work with tenants too).   

If she hasn't paid for the eviction judgment and hasn't had a excellent rental history since, then she needs to address the issue. 4 years is plenty of time to have re-established a good rental payment history. Most individual landlords would overlook the prior eviction with a letter of explanation and a good rental history post eviction of 4 years.

Another thing she can do is pay first month, last month and security deposit. Sometimes additional months up front work to overcome the hesitation by a landlord. Remember, the landlord is most concerned about the tenant moving in and not being able to pay rent so if she can show she has been paying rent and her income is enough to continue to pay, then she can overcome this hurdle.

I don't know if she can get the eviction filing vacated or not. Check your states' statutes or check with an attorney in your area.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My niece has a problem .Does anyone know how to get eviction removed from a background/tenant ch

Thanks for the reply and advice.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.