cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My student loans got transferred and my Equifax score got wiped out by it - what can I do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My student loans got transferred and my Equifax score got wiped out by it - what can I do?

HI - I have been working to recover my scores to a respectable level which was successful (mostly - in progress). My student loans got transferred from one US Dept of Ed company to another and my Equifax score dropped about 60 points down to 541. There is no other change other than the transfer. I'm working up to a home purchase so the timing is terrible. Can I have this reviewed or changed? What can I do? Advise welcome - thank you!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My student loans got transferred and my Equifax score got wiped out by it - what can I do?

This happened to me several years ago.  It required a lot of patient work on my part with the original loan servicer, the new servicer, and the CRA.  It involved many cycles of attempted correction but eventually (after six months) everything got fixed.  Indeed, the final result was better than the way it had originally been listed.

Can you describe in more detail what has happened?  (That will help me figure out if it is like what happened to me.)  What did your credit reports say before the loan was transfered?  What do they say now?  What is the difference between the two points in time?

Also, you mention that your EQ score has taken a huge hit.  Does that mean that your TU and EX scores have not taken a hit?  If so, how does your EQ report differ from the TU and EX reports (with respect to this account) -- what happened to the EQ report that didn't happen at EX and TU?

Finally, you mention that this has happened at a bad time because you are looking to buy a house.  Have you found a property?  If so had you made an offer on it?  Just trying to understand your timeline better.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My student loans got transferred and my Equifax score got wiped out by it - what can I do?

Hi, thanks for replying, I almost forgot about this, then I pulled my recent report and it all came back to me. Smiley Sad

Okay, my student loans (currently on an income based payment plan until december) where with a FAFSA whose name I can't remember. They they recently got transferred to another FAFSA provider (Mohela I think). I got a few letters but didn;t think much about it. On my credit however I noticed an almost 20 dip. When I looked at the cause on myfico.com it stated that the transfer of the loans, plus a new sum of $4900 (ish) was the culprit. I have no new debt, so I assume it is interest that has now been updated. 

Any advise would be helpful - what exactly did you do about this??

Re. the house, no we've waited since I am also changing jobs, so we've scouted out the market but not taking any steps. I hope I can clear up my credit a bit more before we go to prequal.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

PS - I just double checked, it's all limited to my Equifax report. TU and Experian have not changed. Does that clarify?

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, thanks for replying, I almost forgot about this, then I pulled my recent report and it all came back to me. Smiley Sad

Okay, my student loans (currently on an income based payment plan until december) where with a FAFSA whose name I can't remember. They they recently got transferred to another FAFSA provider (Mohela I think). I got a few letters but didn;t think much about it. On my credit however I noticed an almost 20 dip. When I looked at the cause on myfico.com it stated that the transfer of the loans, plus a new sum of $4900 (ish) was the culprit. I have no new debt, so I assume it is interest that has now been updated. 

Any advise would be helpful - what exactly did you do about this??

Re. the house, no we've waited since I am also changing jobs, so we've scouted out the market but not taking any steps. I hope I can clear up my credit a bit more before we go to prequal.

Thanks!

It's been a while since I was in school, but my memory is FAFSA is an acronym for a federal form that you fill out when you are trying to get financial aid (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAFSA

Are you using that term to mean a loan servicer?  (I.e. not a form but a company that manages student loans?)  You said that your student loans were with a FAFSA who's name you couldn't remember.

I am going to assume for a minute that you meant a loan servicer.  Can you explain a bit more what was going on there?  It sounds like there was an original loan servicer A and then a subsequent loan servicer B to whom A sold or transfered your loans.  As you describe it, however, it sounds like you have no idea who A and B were.  If that's true, how were you able to make payments to them?

I encourage you to try to get clearer in your own mind what happened.  You may need to contact the US Department of Education and ask them for info, look for the letters you received that you didn't pay much attention to at the time, etc.  Your goal should be to state clearly for yourself and to anybody who might advise you the following:

How many student loans do you have?  (Each loan should appear as a separate account on your reports.)

When were the loans opened?

When did you leave school?

When did you first start making payments?

What is the name of the first loan servicer (A) who was handling the loans?

What is the name of the second loan servicer  (B)-- to whom the loans were transfered?

Did you ever make payments to B?  Were the payments by check or direct debit?

When were the loans transfered from A to B?

Do you have a web site and phone number for each servicer?

How is it that your EX/TU reports differ from your EQ reports regarding your loans?  You will need to pull them and carefully compare them to see.

Finally, you mention that "a new sum of $4900 (ish) was the culprit."  It's unclear what you mean by this.  Work on trying to state more clearly what you mean here.

My advise is to work on all this, try to put it all together really clearly, and then that may in itself show you what's happened.  If not, circle back and explain it and I'll be glad to see what I can do.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.