cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyFICO Score Watch Price up 67% worth it? Alternatives?

tag
Gray
Regular Contributor

MyFICO Score Watch Price up 67% worth it? Alternatives?

My score watch subscription just renewed at $150/yr, up from $90 (where it's been the last few years). Had I known the price would increase so much I would not have renewed it. What do you all think of the value proposition at $150/yr. I don't think it's worth it. Vantage isn't great, but it's a general benchmark for free from creditkarma.com.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: MyFICO Score Watch Price up 67% worth it? Alternatives?

I can't speak for FICO or myFICO since I don't know the ins and outs, but I do know that the CRAs are increasing their fees to report-providers like myFICO. I use other CMSs (I ignore the scores) and found that the benefits are being cut and/or prices are going up.

I still use SW. I mainly use it for the 30% off discount for future EQ reports and results in a $5.99 savings per pull. Basically, per every 2-3 pulls, I get SW for free. Savings adds up.

Comparing a FAKO with a FICO is like counting the number of seeds in your apple and assuming the same number owuld be in your orange. One score can go up and the other down or vice-versa. The formula differs too. Inquiries count for the full 2 yrs in a Vantage score vs. FICO's one. Vantage ignores all AU accounts. IME, Vantage seems to weigh on your length of history than FICO. Plus Credit Karma only looks at TU.

As an alternative, assuming FICO scores are important, is to subscribe to a CMS that pulls all 3 (e.g. CCT or MPM). As changes occur, then you can pull your FICO scores to see how that change impacted your scores. You can also get your scores for free in some places like PSECU, DCU, Sears MC/HSBC, and other places like your lender (quite a few CUs will give your FICO for free if you ask).

Message 2 of 5
Gray
Regular Contributor

I'll keep it until I buy a house, but then I'm dropping it.  That price increase is just not acceptable.

Message 3 of 5
marty56
Super Contributor

I use True Credit but it is $120 a year.  If you are just monitoring your 3 credit reports, a non-FICO score provider may be cheaper.   

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got my renewal and was shocked at the price.. Guess I hadn't been paying attention to any increase notices.  I will keep it until next renewal and have already called to set up the non-renew for next year. Wow...I may rethink that depending on the prices elsewhere...

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.