Did you mean: 

MyFico is a Fako Equifax??

tag
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

Re: MyFico is a Fako Equifax??

@Kneegrow wrote:

I appd to NFCU

Its ok that there are 40+ real Ficos out there but MyFico re-assured me that THIS ONE is the real Equifax score, that  if appd for a CC and the creditor pulls Equifax, the score I have  in my membership is the one they'd see.. I have the proof that is not true

You can find every excuse out there that creditors used an "enhanced" version,  add Beacons, etc etc.

In the end, this is just like any other credit monitoring service where your score is close to the real one, could be above or below, just use it as a point of reference like you would any other service.  And don't worry, I'm not cancelling my membership just yet.

I get a kick out of the mandatory thread like this every month.  sigh..
This score here is far more accurate than virtually any other service I know of.  This from a guy who maintains about 100 bucks a month just in credit monitoring between my wife and I.
No one FICO score is going to be 100% accurate with all lenders because if your a lender, why on earth would you want that information readily available?  I wouldn't.  I'd want something close though so people would apply still, but different enough that I would be able to bump interest here and there as I saw fit. So lenders all use some sort of customized adaptation of the Beacon or TU08 or any one of the five other variations. 
For example, yesterday when my Discover IT arrived, the paper work that arrived with it advised that they pulled Equifax and that my "FICO" (yes they called it FICO by name) is 779.  If my score was 779 then GREAT! but I think thats too high.  Its 750 and that makes sense to me. 
Additionally, MYFICO has one thing that is well worth the price of admission and that is these forums.  The knowledge here has served me extremely just in the short time I have been here.  Smiley Happy

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 11 of 23
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Pilotdude wrote:

@Kneegrow wrote:

I appd to NFCU

Its ok that there are 40+ real Ficos out there but MyFico re-assured me that THIS ONE is the real Equifax score, that  if appd for a CC and the creditor pulls Equifax, the score I have  in my membership is the one they'd see.. I have the proof that is not true

You can find every excuse out there that creditors used an "enhanced" version,  add Beacons, etc etc.

In the end, this is just like any other credit monitoring service where your score is close to the real one, could be above or below, just use it as a point of reference like you would any other service.  And don't worry, I'm not cancelling my membership just yet.

I get a kick out of the mandatory thread like this every month.  sigh..
This score here is far more accurate than virtually any other service I know of.  This from a guy who maintains about 100 bucks a month just in credit monitoring between my wife and I.
No one FICO score is going to be 100% accurate with all lenders because if your a lender, why on earth would you want that information readily available?  I wouldn't.  I'd want something close though so people would apply still, but different enough that I would be able to bump interest here and there as I saw fit. So lenders all use some sort of customized adaptation of the Beacon or TU08 or any one of the five other variations. 
For example, yesterday when my Discover IT arrived, the paper work that arrived with it advised that they pulled Equifax and that my "FICO" (yes they called it FICO by name) is 779.  If my score was 779 then GREAT! but I think thats too high.  Its 750 and that makes sense to me. 

I'm pretty sure that Discover uses the Beacon 9.0 model, hence the improved score.  But your point is well made...and well taken! 

To the OP, here's just one of many other examples of variation in scores.  Both of the above are true FICOs.  Just depends on what score you want to accept as your score.

Message 12 of 23
Scupra
Super Contributor

When I applied for my cashRewards from NFCU they pulled EQ and when I received my letter it was the exact same score that was listed on myFICO.com Not sure why yours would be different, YMMV I guess! Happy Easter all!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 13 of 23
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@Scupra wrote:

When I applied for my cashRewards from NFCU they pulled EQ and when I received my letter it was the exact same score that was listed on myFICO.com Not sure why yours would be different, YMMV I guess! Happy Easter all!

+1

When I received my Fico score in the mail from NFCU it was EXACTLY the same as here at Myfico.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 14 of 23
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

OP, just like you can buy a manufacturers car "with options", so can a creditor buy a FICO score model "with options".  So if I buy a Ford Taurus with navigation, and let's just assume for the sake of arguement that you are under the impression that every Ford Taurus sold has navigation, and you happen to buy one without navigation, are you going to say that the Ford Taurus you own is a fake?  Well its pretty much the same logic applied here for FICO scores.

A creditor can choose to use the same FICO model sold here or they can choose to buy a FICO model that includes "options".  When you buy a car, many creditors use an auto-enhanced score so the scoring is based more heavily on how you paid your previous loans than your other credit.  Some creditors issuing CC's use a credit-enhanced score that is based more heavily on how you paid your credit cards, length of history, AAoA, etc.  

However since we are talking about NFCU, which is really hot here on these boards, this is the first time that I have heard that the scores differ.  At least I know for sure my own apps with NFCU resulted in the exact score listed here for me.  One thing I can say is that sometimes myFICO does not update instantaneously.  It has taken a lag of about 24 hours before with me once a change is made before I am notified.  When did you apply with NFCU?

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 15 of 23
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

OP, just like you can buy a manufacturers car "with options", so can a creditor buy a FICO score model "with options".  So if I buy a Ford Taurus with navigation, and let's just assume for the sake of arguement that you are under the impression that every Ford Taurus sold has navigation, and you happen to buy one without navigation, are you going to say that the Ford Taurus you own is a fake?  Well its pretty much the same logic applied here for FICO scores.

A creditor can choose to use the same FICO model sold here or they can choose to buy a FICO model that includes "options".  When you buy a car, many creditors use an auto-enhanced score so the scoring is based more heavily on how you paid your previous loans than your other credit.  Some creditors issuing CC's use a credit-enhanced score that is based more heavily on how you paid your credit cards, length of history, AAoA, etc.  

However since we are talking about NFCU, which is really hot here on these boards, this is the first time that I have heard that the scores differ.  At least I know for sure my own apps with NFCU resulted in the exact score listed here for me.  One thing I can say is that sometimes myFICO does not update instantaneously.  It has taken a lag of about 24 hours before with me once a change is made before I am notified.  When did you apply with NFCU?

But..., I don't think that is quite the analogy.   It's more the person selling the OP the car without navigation is saying "This is the only real Ford Taurus" and then he discovers that some come with nav.

The issue comes from Fico Marketing (cheered on by loyalists here) that  it's "The Score that Matters" (see bottom of each page).  It's the score lenders see, except when it isn't.

Message 16 of 23
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Can this thread just die, its a FICO score simple as that!

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 17 of 23
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@Rhaeny wrote:

But..., I don't think that is quite the analogy.   It's more the person selling the OP the car without navigation is saying "This is the only real Ford Taurus" and then he discovers that some come with nav.

The issue comes from Fico Marketing (cheered on by loyalists here) that  it's "The Score that Matters" (see bottom of each page).  It's the score lenders see, except when it isn't.

I agree with this. It can be worded differently marketing wise but most consumers don't know the difference anyway so they feel its legit. Even on FAKO sites.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 18 of 23
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

+1 to tcbofade's comments.

The EQ fico here is definitely not a FAKO. I recently apped for a mortgage with 2 different lenders. The EQ fico they both pulled matched exactly with what I was provided here. TU didn't match because most mortgage lenders use TU04 and not TU98 which is provided here. As stated, CCCs and auto loan lenders use various different types of enhanced in house scoring that weights a particular type of trade line higher than the standard fico weighting.

So it was very nice to be able to keep track of my real fico EQ score during the mortgage process.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 19 of 23
RyVision
Valued Contributor

One thing is a definite. The scores we can get here are True FICO scores, BUT, when there are 40 True FICO scores to choose from, and we can only get 1 each from the CBs, where lenders can use many, it does devalue (waters down the facts of the number we're looking at) the only score we can buy. Considering the Law, we should almost be given every variant for each CB FICO handles when we buy a score, none should be off limits really. We get the used "Consumer" FICO.  There should be only one score used per CB.

I still wouldn't app for anything going on a NON-FICO (FAKO) score.  So I buy the FICO-"FAKO" being it's the most representative.  I say that in that "Ficos are like a box of chocolates, you never know what a lender's going to pick"  Smiley LOL

It really boils down to facts on a report.  Score is just a starting point, or like an educated guess.  And to be honest, you don't have to go through FICO to get factual reports.  I subscribe to SW but it's over priced for what they provide, to be frank about it.  I also pay for EX-direct, only because it keeps me informed daily about what's going on with that report (and I got a discount, I wouldn't pay over 10$ a month for it).   With SW I don't need TRU credit from TU (whatever they call it, had it for a while).

Have to say, even with all the different ways FICO and FAKOs calculate scores, and the different lowest and highest numbers.  The RANGE still usually matches,  Poor-Good-Excellent  across all of them.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.