Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mysterious Chase Hard Pull (HP)

tag
nycplayboy78
Regular Contributor

Mysterious Chase Hard Pull (HP)

Hey everybody I subscribe to multiple credit monitoring alert programs and I just received an alert today stating that Chase performed a HP inquiry on my Experian report. I went to myFICO to verify and I saw nothing on my 3B alerts stating such. So I sent Chase a secure message (SM) asking them did they perform a HP on my EX report on 4/19/2016 I am currently in the quasi-garden until May 15 - 21ish so that I can apply for an auto loan for my new 2017 Cadillac XT5 and I haven't applied for any credit since last year and it is bugging the Hell out of me. I will wait until Chase responds and also how long are Chase hard pulls (HP) good for? I saw that I was not preapproved for ANYTHING from Chase (Credit Cards, Auto, etc).....

EX08 801 EQ08 812 TU08 805 Total Credit Line: $100K+
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Mysterious Chase Hard Pull (HP)

That's strange. Maybe it was just an error in the system that sent it.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 7
driftless
Valued Contributor

When did you get your FU?
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Do you have any existing accounts with Chase?

If so, it might only be an internal account review, which is permissible but should have been coded as soft. 

Message 4 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@nycplayboy78 wrote:

I will wait until Chase responds and also how long are Chase hard pulls (HP) good for?

Are you asking about how long they have an impact or how long a creditor can use a given hard pull?  HP's remain on reports for 2 years and lose their scoring impact at 1.  However, it's never just about score.  A creditor can certainly consider any data on your reports.

Hard pulls are generally a small factor.  They can have a bigger impact for those with thin credit profiles and/or credit profiles with issues.  However, in such cases the real problem isn't the hard pulls but the bigger issues with the person's credit profile, despite how HP averse people tend to be on this and other credit sites.

That said, this does sound odd.  If you want to verify then pull your report directly from the CRA as the CRA is the official record.  Which service sent you the alert?

@nycplayboy78 wrote:

I saw that I was not preapproved for ANYTHING from Chase (Credit Cards, Auto, etc).....

Preapprovals don't require a hard pull and are based on soft pulls.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It could be fraud. I had a mysterious HP from USAA earlier this month only on EX and came to find out that someone tried to open a CC in my name. Had a fraud alert put on accounts and EX deleted the HP within 24 hours.

Message 6 of 7
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

@nycplayboy78 wrote:

Hey everybody I subscribe to multiple credit monitoring alert programs and I just received an alert today stating that Chase performed a HP inquiry on my Experian report. I went to myFICO to verify and I saw nothing on my 3B alerts stating such. So I sent Chase a secure message (SM) asking them did they perform a HP on my EX report on 4/19/2016 I am currently in the quasi-garden until May 15 - 21ish so that I can apply for an auto loan for my new 2017 Cadillac XT5 and I haven't applied for any credit since last year and it is bugging the Hell out of me. I will wait until Chase responds and also how long are Chase hard pulls (HP) good for? I saw that I was not preapproved for ANYTHING from Chase (Credit Cards, Auto, etc).....

So you have multiple credit monitoring services in place but received an alert from only one of them about a HP from Chase? To me that indicates it may have been an error on that one specific monitoring service since it seems like the others would have picked it up too. It's definitely good that you checked with Chase though and I agree that pulling a credit report from Experian may also be in order. It certainly could be fraud but to me it sounds like a glitch. 

Good luck getting it resolved!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.