Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mysterious Inquiries

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mysterious Inquiries

Hello! I'm hoping someone can help me understand this. I got my credit report today from the 3 bureaus. They each had different soft inquiries listed. Experian had two that were concerning, and Equifax had one. All were from USAA Federal Savings Bank. I have never had anything to do with USAA, but (1) on Experian, I have 7 different inquiries, every 4 months for the last 2 years. And (2) Equifax has a random promotional inquiry through them as well. 

I spoke to USAA and after a lot of bouncing around, they found that they have me in their system under my former married name (I was divorced 11 years ago). They also told me that someone tried to open a credit card in my name in 2010 (it was then withdrawn), and then someone at their company ran a credit report/inquiry for me in 2006. They said who cares, it was so long ago, but it matters to me. So I asked why there have been so many recent inquiries and they didn't see anything on their end, but that it's possible that since I'm still, somehow, tied to my ex in their system that he could be filing jointly for applications. They told me they couldn't tell me whether or not I'm listed on anything of his though, for security reasons (can't tell me if my SSN is being used on someone else's account? That's ridiculous.)

I don't know, that sounds odd to me. Plus these inquiries are every exactly 4 months. I'm currently on a very long hold with Equifax. Anyone have any idea what these inquiries could be??

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Mysterious Inquiries

FCRA 609(a)(3) explicitly requiries a CRA to provide to a consumer the name and address of each party who has obtained their credit report within the past year for any purpose, and within the past 2 years for employment purposes.  I would make that specific request in writing to the CRA.

FCRA 609(a)1) and (2) also broadly permits you to obtain any information that is still of record in your credit file, along with the source of that information.

There is a CRA processing fee for requests under section 609(a), which is currently adjusted to $11.00.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mysterious Inquiries

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello! I'm hoping someone can help me understand this. I got my credit report today from the 3 bureaus. They each had different soft inquiries listed. Experian had two that were concerning, and Equifax had one. All were from USAA Federal Savings Bank. I have never had anything to do with USAA, but (1) on Experian, I have 7 different inquiries, every 4 months for the last 2 years. And (2) Equifax has a random promotional inquiry through them as well. 

I spoke to USAA and after a lot of bouncing around, they found that they have me in their system under my former married name (I was divorced 11 years ago). They also told me that someone tried to open a credit card in my name in 2010 (it was then withdrawn), and then someone at their company ran a credit report/inquiry for me in 2006. They said who cares, it was so long ago, but it matters to me. So I asked why there have been so many recent inquiries and they didn't see anything on their end, but that it's possible that since I'm still, somehow, tied to my ex in their system that he could be filing jointly for applications. They told me they couldn't tell me whether or not I'm listed on anything of his though, for security reasons (can't tell me if my SSN is being used on someone else's account? That's ridiculous.)

I don't know, that sounds odd to me. Plus these inquiries are every exactly 4 months. I'm currently on a very long hold with Equifax. Anyone have any idea what these inquiries could be??

They may still be SP'ing to send you prequals. The 2010 incident is more concerning. Was this their fraud department you spoke with?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.