cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NCO Financial?? Advice on who to choose please :)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NCO Financial?? Advice on who to choose please :)

Hello lovely people! I hope everyone is off to a great start in the new year!

I have conqured all but 2 of my old debts from when I was young and stupid. The last 2 remaining are an old Verizon account that I just got offered a settlement on that I am going to take this month and be done with, and the second is an old card through WaMu/ Citi that I believe should have had about a $400 balance when I stopped paying it (stupid stupid).

Since lovely TransUnion sold my info, including my work cell, I've been getting the aitomated collection messages from a number that upon further investigation, is from NCO Financial services. Now, I'm keen to pay off these last two debts because 1. I have the ability to pay the settlements and 2. I'm applying for a mortgage in 3 months and I want to make sure these show paid  or are deleted by then.

The card actually never showed up on my CR's, but the Verizon is definitely there and also keeps being re-aged. The last activity on these accounts was around 2003 so I think this is the last year before SOL runs out in my state. I just want these out of my life as I have worked really hard the last 2 years, my score has jumped 150 points and I want to own up to the mistakes and move on.

Anyone deal with NCO? I just want to know if they are reputable (because I know my debt is valid) and I will be able to get documentation from them in a timely manner.

Thanks everyone!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: NCO Financial?? Advice on who to choose please :)

hi MsTara,

The CRAs do not sell your phone numbers per se.  They do report information though.  You can have phone numbers deleted, FYI.

You need to DV any CA and no NCO is not 'reputable'.   No CA is! As well, if they accessed your reports, you should send them the non-authorized inquiry letter (search exactly that on the boards).  They are not allowed to do that.

Don't stir the pot if you are coming close to the end of SOL if an entity is not actively making attempts to collect.  And do not speak with any CA on the phone, everything in writing only... CMRRR.

Always best to deal with the OC when they own a valid debt, even if they have a CA collecting.  You would want to PFD with the OC and that would take care of everything.  If OC does not own, you would offer the PFD to the CA if they are able to validate the debt by DV.

Nice work on the score increases!
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you SmartCookie, I've definitely had to learn things the hard way but I consider it a lesson well learned and very useful  Smiley Wink

I've had to deal with quite a few CA's before I knew all this helpful info and some were notably more helpful than others....even years later when I need documents for validation. Should I just DV NCO at their PO box without responding to the calls? I have their reference number and everything from my messages already.

Also, should I just call Verizon directly then and try to offer them the same settlement I was offered through the CA? I'm not sure they own the debt anymore...it's pretty old! Can I bargain with them the way I would a CA? They are offering a settlement if paid by 1/21 for half of the old debt, is that enough time to DV?

Thanks again as always!
Message 3 of 10
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

I do agree that some CAs are more 'workable' than others.  We just have to remember that they are not our friends... even if they try and 'get human' with us... they are there for 1 purpose only... and that is to get the money ASAP.

Is NCO on your CBRs at all?  If so, I would use the address on the CBR.  Do not answer the calls from them anymore... and the DV that you do need to send them will also request that.  I would jot down any info they have left... and keep those voicemails as they are potential violations depending on how you handled things with them from the 1st phone contact.

Definitely call Verizon to find out if they still own the account and how much the balance was.  Do not offer to negotiate anything on the phone... just get the facts and say 'thanks, bye'!

If they own then sure, you can offer a settlement on the PFD.  They may or may not take it but of course the closer to PIF you offer the better the chances.

If the CA is offering a settlement... you should still DV first.  They do not give 'promo settlements' with expiration dates like they appear to.  It is merely a date to pressure you into paying them ASAP thinking that it's a 1x offer.  If the debt is validated with them, use that figure to negotiate the PFD.

Smiley Happy
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know...my trusting nature (and tendency to talk too much) has definitely been violated by some of those people, but I understand its all a business transaction.

I haven't pulled my reports since November. Its on my itinerary for this month according to my "Calender/ Timeline to Mortgage Pre-Approval" Smiley Happy Looks like I'll just do it sooner rather than later to get my ducks all in a row! But no, NCO and that card have never showed up on them before.

Thank you again....sometimes I feel really handicapped not knowing where to start!

TGIF Smiley Very Happy
Message 5 of 10
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

MsTara wrote:
I know...my trusting nature (and tendency to talk too much) has definitely been violated by some of those people, but I understand its all a business transaction.

I haven't pulled my reports since November. Its on my itinerary for this month according to my "Calender/ Timeline to Mortgage Pre-Approval" Smiley Happy Looks like I'll just do it sooner rather than later to get my ducks all in a row! But no, NCO and that card have never showed up on them before.

Thank you again....sometimes I feel really handicapped not knowing where to start!

TGIF Smiley Very Happy

TGIF is right! You said it girlfriend!

Did NCO ever send you anything in writing?

Consider pulling your annual free FACTAs if you are due for them...  www.annualcreditreport.com  Do not start disputes off of these free ones though... gives more investigation time which you do not want.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh yeah! I forgot to say that I've never answered their calls, and it's all been automated so far. I am really easily sucked in once I get connected with a live person, so I try to avoid that!

I have already pulled the Annual freebies, I think I'm just going to go through MyFico and pull all 3 after I look up some discount codes Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Hrm odd they never sent you anything.

If they are now reporting, use the address on the CBRs.

If not, use whatever they left on your messages (which BTW is a violation that you could sue them for, or at least remind them of for negotiation ammo in writing) for the DV CMRRR.  

If they have accessed your CBRs... soft or hard INQ does not matter... send them the 'non-authorized inquiry' letter that you can search out on the forums.  That would be additional violations on them... all at 1k per incident.

Message Edited by SmartCookie on 01-04-2008 03:17 PM
Message 8 of 10
BBYGRL
Established Contributor

NCO Financial is one of the worst CAs to deal with. They are relentless once they speak to you directly. 
10/08 - EX 795 / EQ 816 / TU 806
6/09 - EQ 763 / TU 770

Starting Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Current Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Goal Score (12/2010): TU-780, EQ-790

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess I am one of the few who had good luck with NCO. I had several accounts with them that I was taking care of on my CR's. Mostly for medical when I didn't have any insurance in 2005. I had yet to start reading these boards, and didn't know the rules of not speaking with a CA. Well, I called and asked about my accounts. I must of caught someone in a very good mood. One of my balances was almost 1000. She agreed to PFD for 300, and she completely got rid of the several smaller accounts I owed. (4 of them)  I paid by credit card over the phone. I checked my reports the next month and all were gone. The woman I spoke with even called me back to make sure they had been removed from my reports! I wrote her name down in one of my notebooks, I would have to look for it though. If I can find it, I will post her name and the number I called her at.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.