Did you mean: 

NCO, refer to legal...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NCO, refer to legal...

Hi,

My wife received a letter from NCO financial stating (exactly as shown):

This letter is your opportunity to make arrangement to pay the balance before the account is forwarded to an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction who will review your account to determine whether or not to initiate a lawsuit to collect the outstanding balance.

If you have any intention of resolving this account, please contact us within 30 days from the date of this letter.

The account is for a substantial amount, well within SOL.  OC is AMEX, and they still own the account.

Avoided DV due to SOL and it would be a fruitless as she had tried to get AMEX to recall the account from NCO and to setup a repayment plan  directly with them (they never responded to her letter). 

So the question for experts here is do we wait for a lawsuit, send whatever we can afford each month to AMEX directly and hope we don't get sued, or cave to NCOs threat and send them what we can afford?

Message Edited by JimmyMagno on 03-25-2008 06:32 PM
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NCO, refer to legal...

Did it have the 2 'warnings' - attempt to collect a debt and any information used?  MUST have those (if not a violation).

Hop on over to the Credit Cards forum and ask about Oasis - maybe she can get into that.

I personally would DV them using Lonnster's letter - they are already threatening suit (and AmEx is proactive in that department) so it realyy can't hurt.

I am assuming that PIFing is impossible to avoid a lawsuit...
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it had the usual collection language at the bottom.  Second, I searched the web for the sentence and found it was used in someone else's letter.

The question I have is NCO going to refer this to 'their legal network' and if so, is this just NCO trying to play hardball. 

PIF is impossible.  If we could PIF or OIC some reasonable value we would.

I will look into OASIS.  Worse case, we will start sending what we can afford directly to AMEX and
C-&-D NCO at that time.  If AMEX is going to sue, they are going to sue.  They will not get any more a month than we can afford to give, so if they decide to go the legal route, we can BK worse case.

NCO will get nothing from us, period.

Given that we have gone past the 30 days, is the Lonester letter of any use?

Message Edited by JimmyMagno on 03-26-2008 06:38 AM
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

SEND IT!  Can't hurt at this point (and legal network may mean their 'collection attorneys' not necessarily legal action)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.