Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU: One pull for all apps in 30 days?

tag
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

NFCU: One pull for all apps in 30 days?

This has to do with two things: just apping for a mortgage and wanting to refinance my auto loan.

Yesterday, I applied for a mortgage with NFCU. It'd be great to be able to decrease my monthly payment (via a better rate) on a car loan that I got when my credit was horrible (read: highest rate available).  I've heard that NFCU does one HP for all apps made in a 30, maybe 90 day period. Is this true and would they think I'm just "shopping for credit," which could have an effect on my creditworthiness? Which, thanks to these forums, is rather high right now - to the point I'd probably get the best auto refi rate available, as I qualified for the best mortgage rate available.

Thanks in advance. 

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Hex
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU: One pull for all apps in 30 days?

I think NFCU HP's for everything. I think you might be thinking of Penfed.
Message 2 of 7
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

That sucks. Though the HP might be worth the savings at the end of the day.
Do you think NFCU would think of it as suspicious?
AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 3 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Why would Navy think of a hp, or apping, as suspicious?
Message 4 of 7
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

I've read about mortgage lenders thinking something's up when they see "shopping for credit" and I didn't know if my proposed circumstance would be considered just that. Perhaps they're thinking more about people who app for multiple credit cards.

What do you think?
Message 5 of 7
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

No more apps until your mortgage closes.  They may HP you one more time to finalize the loan.  You may qualify for the best rates now, but adding a new TL or additional HPs could lower your FICO 04/98 scores enough to increase the interest rate.  The old FICO models are sensitive to any new TLs within the past 6 mounths.  Once you have closed and before the mortage reports is the time to re-fi your car loan.

The only exception I would make is if your debt to income is high.  Refinancing the loan could help you there.  However, I would talk with your loan officer first before you do it.  Expect them to question any changes on your credit report.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You are likely referring to the "de-duping" of multiple inquiries, which is a function of the FICO scoring algorithm, and not a process by which an inquiree controls how many inquiries are made or recorded in your credit report.

The FCRA requires that a record be kept of each inquiry made to a consumer's credit file.  It is a legal requirement based on their obligation to provide a record of prior inquiries made within certain periods of time.  An inquiree can agree to only make one inquiry, but cannot agree to prevent any permissible inquiry from being recorded in a consumer's credit file.  The only control by an inquiree is the possible coding of multiple inquiries so that only one is "hard," thus excluding the additional inquiries from being shown in credit reports available to others.

As a separate credit scoring matter, the FICO scoring algorithm has a process they refer to as "de-duping," wherein the algorithm only considers, for scoring purposes, multiple auto, mortgage, or student loan related inquiries made within a sliding window (usually a 14 day window) as only one inquiry for scoring purposes.  However, each inquiry appears in the consumer's credit report.

For the same reason that FICO only scores multiple inquiries as one, most potential creditors will, upon seeing multiple auto, mortgage, or student loan related inquiries, not consider that as a subtantive factor in their lending determinations.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.