Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU eligibility - DEERS

tag
rebuildingmission2013
Contributor

NFCU eligibility - DEERS

I know there are numerous threads on trying to join NFCU as a seperated veteran prior to retirement.  However, I am at a loss as to why veterans who are enrolled in DEERS or ebenefits are not eligible.  The reason being since 2012 the DOD has assigned a DOD ID number to all enrolled veterans in DEERS. In my book that affiliates a veteran to the DOD and since NFCU is open to all in or associated with the DOD, surely having a member ID number has got to qualify.  

Additionally, there are seperated veterans who have military IDs for the medal of honor or being 100% disabled.  They have access to military bases and a wide variety of DOD benefits.  Am I to assume these people would not be eligible for NFCU even with military IDs with their DOD ID number on their DD Form 2765?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU eligibility - DEERS

It's a strange set up. They should open up to ALL people who have ever served and their spouses. It bugs me when I see someone getting membership through their roommate who never served who got a membership through his father who never served who got his membership from his wife who never served who got her membership through her uncle who never served who got it from his son, who is serving.
Either open up strictly to all current and former military, their spouses and dependents, or just open it up to anybody who like America. None of this convoluted set up.

(I'm not hating against the person who got in through six degrees of separation, i'm hating against the fact that actual veterans can't become members)
Message 2 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@rebuildingmission2013 wrote:

However, I am at a loss as to why veterans who are enrolled in DEERS or ebenefits are not eligible.

You'd have to ask NFCU.  They determine their eligbility requirements.

@rebuildingmission2013 wrote:

Am I to assume these people would not be eligible for NFCU even with military IDs with their DOD ID number on their DD Form 2765?

They are very strict about eligbility and will freeze accounts to perform eligibility audits.  I'd go by the letter to what they state on their site.  If in doubt, call and verify directly with them.  Don't rely on discussion forum postings.  What we say won't mean a thing if NFCU questions one's eligiblity.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a 100% disabled veteran and have a military ID (form 2765).  I qualified for NFCU membership over a year ago and have never been questioned.  I am also enrolled in eBenefits.  I filled out the application on line and was approved.  I have a cash rewards VISA, was denied navcheck and just put $2000 into a savings account with them.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
It's a strange set up. They should open up to ALL people who have ever served and their spouses. It bugs me when I see someone getting membership through their roommate who never served who got a membership through his father who never served who got his membership from his wife who never served who got her membership through her uncle who never served who got it from his son, who is serving.
Either open up strictly to all current and former military, their spouses and dependents, or just open it up to anybody who like America. None of this convoluted set up.

(I'm not hating against the person who got in through six degrees of separation, i'm hating against the fact that actual veterans can't become members)

+1

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.