Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU eligibility

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU eligibility

I have a question about eligibility.  According to their website, you need to be either active military, reserve or retired.  Does it count if you served four years (Marine Corps) and then got out?  Is that considered retired military?

Anyone know?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
jwes2155
New Contributor

Re: NFCU eligibility

You can only join Navy Federal when you still are in active or active reserve status,  or have a family member thats a member. 
Message 2 of 10
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

do they not have were you can sign up for membership like a one time fee and become a member that way?

Also who do they pull? Looks like over at creditboards.com they pull mostly Equifax in NC!
Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 3 of 10
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Here are the eligibility requirements.  Yes, you are eligible.
Eligibility Checklist

Navy Federal's Field of Membership is determined by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA). If you are in any of these categories, you are eligible to join.

• All Department of the Navy (DON) Personnel—regardless of location or rank, including:
    • Active duty Navy and Marine Corps
    • Reservist, regardless of drilling status
    • Civilian employees
  • Contractors assigned to DON sites afloat or ashore
  • Officer Candidate programs, NROTC, U.S. Naval Academy, U.S. Coast Guard Academy, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
  • U.S. Government—Military and civilian personnel employed by the U.S. Government assigned to, stationed at or working at a Navy installation, afloat or ashore
  • Retired—from any of the categories listed above
  • Family—including:
    • Grandparents
    • Parents
    • Spouse
    • Siblings
    • Children (includes adopted, foster and stepchildren)
    • Grandchildren
    • Household Members

Once your family members have joined, they can extend the membership opportunity to their family members, too.

Message 4 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Serving 4 years and getting out does not constitute a retirement.  It just means you have completed 4 years of your military obligation.  If you are in the IRR as a non drilling reservist to complete your remaining 4 year obligation, you would still be eligible.  If you are not in any way affilliated with the military at this time, I do not believe you would be eligible, according to their requirements.  A retirement is 20 years.

Message Edited by guiness56 on 03-03-2008 07:24 AM
Message 5 of 10
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

They let my brother in, he served six years.  I'll ask him if he found a *loophole*. 
Message 6 of 10
grneyes
Established Member

Another way to join which is not listed, are disabled veterans that were discharged medically and receive disability benefit with either the USN or USMC. It's not listed on the website, but if you fall under that category you are eligible to join also.

Message Edited by grneyes on 03-03-2008 07:44 AM
FICOs
3/24/08 EQ 581 TU 509 EX 517
3/14/08 EQ 547
2/21/08 EQ 507
Message 7 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If they let you join because you served in the military for any length of time, that is good.  It just does not meet the criteria they publish, which is misleading. 

And now for a quick lesson in the military.  Everyone who joins has an 8 year military obligation, to be served in any combination of duty.  If you serve 6 years on active duty, you are still obligated to the military for another 2 years.  Once you get off active duty you are placed in the IRR (Individual Ready Reserve) for the remaining 2 years of your obligation. Or, you could spend your entire obligation as a
drilling Reservist.  So, if your brother joined during that time frame it would be allowed, according to the criteria.

Message 8 of 10
ShinyGirl
New Contributor

Well, I just joined. I have never served active duty. My ex (with whom I have a child) is/was a member when we were together (he is former USMC). So I was able to join via him because he is a "household member". He is NOT still active duty, and I believe his IRR is up.

He has an access number which I had to reference when I joined. I'm in. They sent me my materials last week and my ATM/check card on Saturday.
"...what good do your words do if they can't understand you??...."
Message 9 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@ShinyGirl wrote:
Well, I just joined. I have never served active duty. My ex (with whom I have a child) is/was a member when we were together (he is former USMC). So I was able to join via him because he is a "household member". He is NOT still active duty, and I believe his IRR is up.

He has an access number which I had to reference when I joined. I'm in. They sent me my materials last week and my ATM/check card on Saturday.

Him no longer being in the military does not matter. Once you become a member you remain a member as long as your account is active.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.