Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU is always

tag
jackg
Established Contributor

NFCU is always

#1 when it comes to my credit rebuilding efforts.
This afternoon, Saturday, I called NFCU customer service to request a CLI to my NAVchek/ LOC account from $2,000 to $10,000. I was transferred to the proper department and after answering a few questions about what I was requesting and income, Tom informed me that I was approved for the $10,000. I didn't have to fax proof of income or anything at all. I was on the phone for less than 5 minutes at most. I should mention that earlier this week they raised my nRewards Visa from $2,000 to $10,000.
I will have to wait until tomorrow to see if they pulled Equifax, my current EQ FICO score is 718.
I started credit rebuilding in May 2007 after a CH 7 BK was discharged in Aug. 2006. 
FICO scores on November 17, 2014 (prior to applying for and being approved my mortgage)

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

FICO scores on March 4, 2015 after being approved for mortgage and buying the home, the mortgage isn't yet reporting.
EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: NFCU is always

Wow--a nice way to kill a little time on a Saturday! You just can't beat the good credit unions.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 9
babbles
Established Contributor

hello, Read your post about NFCU which I think is Navy Fed? Do I understand you correctly when you say you had a BK discharge in 2006 and your score from one of the bureaus is at a 718? WOW! And Navy Fed gave you a chance with such a recent discharge? Thanx. babbles
Message 3 of 9
jackg
Established Contributor

Hi babbles,

Yes, it is Navy Federal Credit Union. Yes, my CH 7 BK  was discharged in Aug. 2006.

My FICO scores are something that continue to frustrate me though because:

TU: 612
EQ: 718
EX: 683

How is it possible that there is a difference of 106 pts. from high to low? I think Transunion has a vendetta out for me!
FICO scores on November 17, 2014 (prior to applying for and being approved my mortgage)

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

FICO scores on March 4, 2015 after being approved for mortgage and buying the home, the mortgage isn't yet reporting.
EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 4 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

This wouldn't explain that huge of a gap, but two things that I've observed about TU: scores are lower if you don't have a mortgage on your report, and they don't like seeing a lot of open TL's. I get a snotty comment on my FICO TU if I have more than half of my open TL's with balances, and that includes the mortgage, student loan, etc --not just CC's. My son got the same comment for having balances on two of his three open TL's, and that's with 14% util.

Don't know if either of those are a factor with you, and like I said, no way they'd account for that many points, but I wanted to toss that in, just in case. Congrats on the EQ score! --they hate me, for sure.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 9
jackg
Established Contributor

hauling,

Well, my uti is at 4%, so that's not the issue. I do suspect that you are correct about the mortgage. While I do have 4 closed mortgage accts. in good shape, I don't currently have one due to the problems that preceeded my BK. Anyway, that is something I hadn't thought of, thanks a lot.

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 6 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I thought that FICO counted open and closed mortgage and auto loans the same as far as getting credit toward the "credit mix"? I have two closed mortgages on my accounts and TU is my highest score by a smidge. I don't have an open one.
Message 7 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I think you're right. I didn't know at the time of the post that OP had mortgages, open or closed.

But TU will ding you for what they consider to be too many open TL's, even if util is way down. They did that to me a couple of days ago, when I thought that two accounts had been posted. (They had been on EX and EQ, but not on TU.) My util was 2%. Smiley Tongue
Message 8 of 9
thorice
New Contributor

jackg I recentlly refinanced both of my cars and was approved for a CC from navy fed and everytime I applied they only pulled from transunion.  
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.