Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU shared secured loan - Need Advice

tag
tussking
Established Contributor

NFCU shared secured loan - Need Advice

I want to installment loan to the mix - since I won't be getting a car loan or mortgage till July 18'.
They offer :
$500 - 6 months
$1000 - 12 months
$2000 - 24 months
$3000 - 36 months

I'm not sure what my best move is - NO credit pull.
Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Current Fico8 - (8.2022) EX - 744/EQ - 728/TU - 740
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU shared secured loan - Need Advice

If I were in your shoes, I go with the 24 month.  The reason being, at the time you are ready to do your mortgage you'd still want to have the small balance on the loan reporting to maximize your scores..

Message 2 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I'd do it somewhere else frankly.

Those aren't good terms, you want as long as possible and Alliant at $500 for 5 years is vastly superior if we're just talking FICO goodness;  Penfed might even be better at 10 years, but don't think anyone's had any experience with them but from what I've read online it should work similarly to Alliant.

I'm assuming the intention is to pay it down quickly with the loan disbursement anyway and let it hang out, why pay more than one needs to for it?

        
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

What is the APR on each?

..kinda an important factor

Message 4 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:

What is the APR on each?

..kinda an important factor

Not precisely, since for optimal scoring it's going to be paid down way early anyway.  Even at 150% APR on $1 is still only $1.50 in interest a year assuming simple interest loan.

Typical secured loan rates are 2-3% above underlying deposit rate.

        
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.