Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name Change Question

tag
WD
Valued Member

Name Change Question

My apologies if I missed this discussion some where already.

My wife and I got married last year.  Her credit report (EQ) still shows her maidan name.  I thought I read somewhere about a phone number to call to have it updated.  I went to the EQ site, but only see a sales number.

Question:  Does she have to do a dispute letter to get it updated or is there a phone number / quick easy way?

And if she does have to do a letter, is there any specific documents she should include (i.e. copy of driver's license)?

Thanks all.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
leah5570
Frequent Contributor

Re: Name Change Question

When I purchased my EQ and TU reports on this site, they help you write a dispute letter, or clarification letter. You have to prefill it in from the site, print it off, then sign and date and mail it in. I had to change my name and address on my TU report. They have a drop down menu for options that you can use, "Married, my name has changed. Please change to reflect ........"

I mailed it in to TU and they mailed me a new copy of my report when they fixed it. My Experian pulled from a lender last year and my EQ were already current.

That was the only way I knew, there probably is another way. TU didn't ask me for any documentation. When I did a dispute with Equifax over a bad account, they requested my paycheck stub and DL copy before completing their investigation.

EQ. Starting Score 08/19/12: 545
EQ. Current Score 09/02/13: 611
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

The effects of waking a sleeping giant...
Message 2 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Alas, EQ doesn't have that "my name has changed" option. They require that you dispute.

I recently took my maiden name back after my divorce. I first tried to change it with the bureaus, but I wasn't comfortable with the idea of a dispute. Knowing EQ, they would have just deleted all my accounts under my old name. Smiley Tongue

So I changed my name with my CCC's, and I'm waiting to see my new name magically appear. Hasn't happened yet, but I just did this within the last few weeks.

IMO, disputing anything at all with CRA's, including whether the sun rises in the East, should only be done if there is some horrible consequence if you don't. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 8
WD
Valued Member

She updated most of her accounts a few months back and they do seem to be reporting ok.

So, yeah, maybe go with "if it ain't broke..."

We'll just update the remaining few she has (maybe only one) and if it be comes an issue, then do the dispute.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I changed my first name back in October '09.  The last credit report I got was in January 2010 and it still doesn't reflect my new name. I have changed it with whatever accounts I have open incl. CCC's. What's my  next step to get my report to reflect this?

Message 5 of 8
lkcrew426
Regular Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Alas, EQ doesn't have that "my name has changed" option. They require that you dispute.

I recently took my maiden name back after my divorce. I first tried to change it with the bureaus, but I wasn't comfortable with the idea of a dispute. Knowing EQ, they would have just deleted all my accounts under my old name. Smiley Tongue

So I changed my name with my CCC's, and I'm waiting to see my new name magically appear. Hasn't happened yet, but I just did this within the last few weeks.

IMO, disputing anything at all with CRA's, including whether the sun rises in the East, should only be done if there is some horrible consequence if you don't. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Smiley Wink

I have been married for two years, and changed mine on ALL accounts days after getting married. My EQ and TU STILL show my maiden name, so good luck with that! I think it's a matter of weighing how important having it changed on your file is. Is it worth writing a dispute over?

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I checked my Experian score today, it's at 721!! It has my new name and only one CC in it's history.  TransUnion still doesn't have my new name but it has all my old history, the score is 650. 

Please help!

Message 7 of 8
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Report the name change to your creditors and wheny they report to the bureaus you will see the name change reported. The new name or the old name may be reported as an AKA.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.