Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name Variations Tied to Accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Name Variations Tied to Accounts

Good day all,

I was looking over my Experian and found out i had a total of 4 names associated to my account. My question is, How do i find out what name is tied to what account? And then do i have to do two seperate disputes, one for the name and for the account? Also when i dispute the account do i simply say something like Not my name or what?

Thanks in advance, you guys/gals rock!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Name Variations Tied to Accounts

bump

Message 2 of 6
JVille
Valued Contributor

Are these accounts ALL yours? Are these all variations of your own name? Or did you have a friend or relative listed as a Authorized User?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well there is two accounts that I am disputing as not mine because I have no knowledge of them. It was when I looked at my personal info that the names were variations of mine that I have never used. Such as last name missing letters and a middle initial and I have no middle name. I don't know how to find out which name is tied to which account though.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are seeing name variations on your credit report that aren't accurate, it's because they are being or have been reported by one of your creditors.  The first step would be to contact all of your creditors and ensure that they have your name correctly on file and no other variations of it.  Once you are sure that your name is only being reported the proper way, at that point you can contact the bureau(s) and tell them to remove all of the incorrect representations of your name.  You want to do that step last, as if you do it first and one of your creditors has your name wrong, it will simply pop back up incorrectly on your CR.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The same thing has happened to me several times. A complete butchering of my first name, the wrong middle initial, my Mother's name (way different than mine) plus one of her CC, and my daughter's name (way different than mine). I've written to the CRA to have the not my names removed along with the CC. No problem in getting them removed.

The bigger issue is that those wrong names are out there. Now and then one will pop up, The butchered name originated with Montgomery Wards. Wards is out of business and has been for decades. Now and then that name pops up as a AKA. The wrong middle iinital was on one of my then three BoA CC that are all now closed. It recently was listed on one of my lesser CRA that I ran for the first time.  They will never go completely away.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.