Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name differences in Credit report..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Name differences in Credit report..

Does it matter the variences in names listed on the Credit report? For example my hubbys name is used (not real name) he has a legal alias 1st name
Equifax Smith, John
Equifax Don J Smith
Transunion John D Smith
Experian John smith

Thanks!!!

Message Edited by scrapbookaddict on 04-18-2007 06:03 PM
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Name differences in Credit report..

The name matters.  I had a few mispellings of my name and some alias's so I called up all three cb's and took off all but my real name.  I did the same with wrong addresses.  Remember, all credit reports have to be accurate by law.  In about 3-4wks you'll get a new report.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Variations in name have no bearing on credit scores. That said, I found a variant of my name was was not correct. Swapped the order of two letters. John became Jonh. I disputed that. Also disputed a variant with the wrong middle initial.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

so do you recommend writing the breaus about this? anyone have a great sample letter?
sarah
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was an ID theft victim (luckily not too serious) but anyway, I have three variations of my name, my home is listed as a business address and apparently I also lived in Iowa.  All these inaccuracies do not change my score and I have tried a few times to get them removed but all these inaccuracies are listed against accounts opened and closed. 

In essense it doesn't matter, albeit really annoying.  However, do write to the three CRA and ask them to make the changes. Be prepared to show proof... I'm afraid you're guilty until proven innocent.

I hope it works for you.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dispute innocuous data anomalies, like names and addresses in error.

Generally speaking, there are no magic letters here or on other forums. For disputing things like this, it can be done online. Or call 'em. For these issues, the bureaus will usually act quickly. Doesn't involve a lotta work, and it cannot be used to screw over the consumer, so they fix it.

For address corrections, especially if they have your current address wrong, you'll need to send 'em a photocopy of your Driver's License showing your current address.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.