cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nasty Debt Collector Hung Up- Now What??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nasty Debt Collector Hung Up- Now What??

I just got a phn call while at work and I want to write this before I forget the circumstances. Basically, I was told I had a personal phone WHICH IS NOT ALLOWED. I picked up and it was a female identifying herself as a person from a law firm calling on behalf of capital 1.  I remained extremely calm and polite.  I said "First of all, I am not allowed to get phone calls at work and would appreciate it if you would not call me here."  I wasn't done yet when she started yelling at me that she was allowed to call me at work.  I remained polite and said again, "I am requesting you on a recorded line not to call me at work anymore because I am not allowed to get personal phone calls."  AGAIN she started yelling and said "Oh yeah, how would like to get served with a lawsuit at work, huh?"  I stated, "Ma'am you can threaten me all you want but this is the first..."  Then she hung up on me.  I was going to state that this is the first that heard from her company about this account because it is.  This account is not showing up on my credit report and she hung up on me so I have no contact info in which to DV.  I found a capital 1 account.  The DOLA was 11/04 so I am still within SOL until 08.  What should me next step be?  Why would they serve me at work and not home?  Please help, I've had a very bad day today and was already about to lose it and now I got this call

Message Edited by nfg on 11-14-2007 11:50 AM

Message Edited by nfg on 11-14-2007 04:14 PM
Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: PLEASE HELP!

they are not going to serve you!! i wouldn't think atleast, and the fact that she threatened you is a vilation.
If the account is about to expire, they are going to do anything possible to try to get you to say ONE thing towards repaying this debt... that immediatly starts it all over.
If you just keep hanging up on them, and they don't pursue you legally then it will go away in 08 like you said and they can no longer try to collect on it.
Message 2 of 40
Dawn
Established Contributor

FTC - Fair Debt Collection

When I was previously employed, I agonized with a co-worker every time issues came up in which he had a debt collector harrassing him at work, harrassing his wife at her place of employment, and threatening to have him arrested.   The debt was in his name and their vehicle was in her name, and they repeatedly threatened to take their vehicle from them.  (This was not a debt related to a loan on the vehicle.)  I was certain then, and am certain now, that they overstepped their bounds.  He was desperately trying to get the debt related issue resolved with the OC and this was over the top.

I know you are looking for immediate emotional support to help you through the trauma of having this person approach as they did and others will hopefully be along to advise you.  In the meantime, you  might want to start here

to become familiar with what they can and can't do.  I would encourage you to keep a log of contact from this individual so that you can document any illegal tactics that they are utilizing.

Message 3 of 40
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Creditaddict wrote:
they are not going to serve you!! i wouldn't think atleast, and the fact that she threatened you is a vilation.
If the account is about to expire, they are going to do anything possible to try to get you to say ONE thing towards repaying this debt... that immediatly starts it all over.
If you just keep hanging up on them, and they don't pursue you legally then it will go away in 08 like you said and they can no longer try to collect on it.

There is some half truths in what you are saying.   First is you don't know if they will or will not serve.  But yes you are correct that if they do threaten to sue and don't act upon that threat and use it only in a scare tactic then yes they are in violation.   But how that is figured out in terms of time table used is a very gray area.

Also they can try to collect on the debt up until you are six feet under.   No SOL on collecting on a debt just a SOL on how long they can sue you and legally win a judgment against you.   And even that can still be done if they sue you past your SOL and you ignore the papers served,   they can still win a default judgment if you don't answer or show up even if it's 20 years past the SOL.

Now on to your current matter.   Capital One is notorious for suing just in the nick of time of your State's SOL, remember that is very different than the credit report reporting time.    So I wouldn't be playing too many games with Cap One.   Seriously.    They have no problems serving up papers.

You are within your rights to request that they do not call you at work.  This is part of your rights under the FDCA.  You can search on here or google it.    But they can call you at work initially but can't once you've requested that they don't in the future they can't and will be in violation.   So right now they are not in violation but if they call again, then yes they are.

Now you said Cap One shows up on your Credit Report but no Collection Agency.   What I would do is not ignore this.  I would call up Cap One and find out who is handling your account.   You can try to work something out with them but odds are they will just tell you to contact who ever is handling it. But it's always worth a shot to try and work with OC.

Once I got that information I would call the CA or who ever is handling it and again, remain calm, cool and collective.   Don't let them intimadate you or pressure you into anything. And don't get in an argument with them or let it get on a personal level.    You just want to be in some form of communication with them.  Ignoring them will only lead to a lawsuit.    I would request that they mail you the account information to your home.   It is totally within your rights to request written request for correspondence.   They don't like to do it because of the next step.   Once you receive their bill,  send them a Debt Validation, which is required by law and they know it.  That will put any collection procedure on hold until it's validated.   Send your request  CMRR.  A MUST!!!!!

If the debt is valid then you can start any type of negotiations with them.   Or if you have the money now and you know the debt is your's and don't need the delay part of the Debt Validation,  I would see if you can try to get a Pay For Delete, though I've heard Cap One is very difficult to deal with on that or try to get into an affordable payment plan.

If they person you talk to is the same person and you are getting the same type of reaction, request to speak to another representative.

Keep us updated.
Message 4 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent post Boswd. I got a lot out of it, and I'm sure everyone who reads it will as well.

nfg, I think you handled that call very well. Smiley Happy Please do keep us posted!

Good luck to you

Message 5 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm home now and wanted to thank everyone for their replies.  The funny part of this whole thing is
SHE HUNG UP ON ME!  I was willing to get a phone number so I could call her after work (I wanted the address to DV) but she hung up on me (couldn't have been a lawyer, no lawyer I know would ever hang up first and I have a few family members that are lawyers, they never stop talking. LOL.) I'm not even sure about the name of the agency she worked for.  I'm kinda stuck because I have no number to call, no address to write, and if she follows the law, she can't call me back.  I am less than 4months from SOL.  I guess I have to wait and see what happens, can they serve me with a lawsuit before they give me a chance to dispute?  Did I miss that chance today, even though she hung up on me?  And if I get served, that phone call was really recorded and I can get a copy of it.  Do you think this will help me out with dragged into court? 

Message Edited by nfg on 11-14-2007 01:37 PM

Message Edited by nfg on 11-14-2007 01:39 PM
Message 6 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's the telephone number? Quite often somebody can find a company name & address using a reverse telephone directory.

Message 7 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

No phone number showed up.
Message 8 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's odd. I never have any problems in finding a business name when I have a phone #. I use about 6 or 7 reverse directory websites.

Message 9 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had to edit my post, I wanted to get a phone number but she hung up on me before I could obtain one.  I have nothing
Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.