Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help Removing a RELEASED California State Tax Lien

tag
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

Need Help Removing a RELEASED California State Tax Lien

I had a California Tax Lien filed in 1/2005, and I knew it was for several years of back taxes, but I filed amended returns for those years, got the total balance reduced by more than half and then paid that balance in full.

I NEED to get this off my CBR, as it's 1 of 3 Public Records that I'm working to get off -- the other two haven't been paid, so I have some leverage with a landlord judgment and the IRS -- my question is who should I contact with a GW letter? The California Franchise Tax Board (the state tax authority) or the County Records Clerk?

Basically, which entity reports a state tax lien to the 3 CRAs?

The gist of my GW letter will be that I intended to file all my tax returns -- amended -- after a tax issue was discovered with a trust that I'm a party to, and that when I filed my amended or first-time returns the actual balance was reduced and that was immediately paid-off.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

Re: Need Help Removing a RELEASED California State Tax Lien

bump
Message 2 of 6
braznyc
Frequent Contributor

Good luck, I just paid all my taxes to NYS taxation department, I had 3 liens or still do. I will get a letter stating it's been satisfied, the young woman told me that I can then send this to the CRA, and they'll note it as paid, and it SHOULD "correct" itself, those were her exact words. I dunno about California, but something tells me those liens will stay on my report until perhaps they just drop off. I'm much happier with them being paid, so I'll just deal with it as I try to rebuild my credit. But I do know having it say "paid" is better than it just sitting there.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a 2003 California Tax lien $9030.00. I filed, then it was actually $210.00. I paid and within 30 days it was released. But don't expect it to disapear.. You are not going to GW your way out of this one. Your dealing with government not the same as some CC company.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have two tax liens on my CR.  I am on a payment plan for one and they reported it as released as of the date I started paying.  However, they will not agree to remove it from my CR.  I think it is scheduled to come off 7 years after I started paying.
Message 5 of 6
jackg
Established Contributor

In my experience with the state of Michigan the clock starts when it's released, 7 years later it's gone. However, I was told by CRA that the negative value of FICO points is discounted each year, so isn't that worth something?
FICO scores on November 17, 2014 (prior to applying for and being approved my mortgage)

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

FICO scores on March 4, 2015 after being approved for mortgage and buying the home, the mortgage isn't yet reporting.
EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.