Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Some Advice...

tag
RSCo
Established Contributor

Need Some Advice...

I went through a foreclosure process back in 2006 where the bank took possession of the house... There were unpaid HOA fees associated to the property so after the foreclosure process the HOA association turned me over to an attorney who obtained a judgment against me..  Is this legal?  I was always under the impression that any outstanding HOA fees stay with the property and that the new purchase would have to satisfy ALL outstanding debts associated to the house.. 

This judgment is still on my record and I have refused to pay it.. The lawyer says I now owe 500% of the original amount... LOL

Any ideas how I can get this removed?

Thanks a lot.

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Need Some Advice...

Did you defend the matter in court?  That was the opportunity to challenge the legitimacy of the fee......

Message 2 of 4
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

HOA dues can be liened against a property and yes, they can get a judgement against you. Dues are separate from the loan, just like utilities.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Refusal to pay a judgment is not simply a matter between the consumer and the creditor.

It is failure to comply with a court order, and can be used to file a subsequent motion to order taking of property to satisfy their judgment, such a garnishment of pay.

Contesting a judgment is a matter that needs to be taken up with the court.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.