Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a good CU for Virginia

tag
MamboItaliano
Frequent Contributor

Need a good CU for Virginia

NWFCU have been really jerks to me. 

With my current credit scores, I was declined for a credit due to the fact that I "have too many new accounts, a 30 and 60 day late pay on my student loans from early 2010, and my debt to credit ratio is too high."

My util is 5%, I have 4 new accounts since November 2010, and the 30/60 days are what they are. 

So I said "You've got to be kidding me."

I can't use NFCU ... tried to get in there but just can't.

No military affiliation. 

Anyone know of any other good ones I can join? 

Re-entered the garden on 9/16/2013.

Starting Score: (TU) 517 (EQ) 469 (EX) 519 (6/1/2010)
Current Score: (TU98) 714 (TU04) 712 (EQ Beacon 5.0) 672 (EX -FICO v2) 724 (6/13/13)
Goal Score: 700 Club for all 3 (2 out of 3 so far)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need a good CU for Virginia

If you are open to answering, where in VA? I'm in NoVa.

There are a few up here I've been eyeing. So "no way" to NWFCU? They were on my list of potential CUs to join, but never got around to it.

Message 2 of 10
MamboItaliano
Frequent Contributor

I'm in NoVa as well. Small world. 

They aren't impressing me so far. I was told "There is no minimum credit score" to get a CC, but when I applied,  I didn't think they'd expect me to have the credit score of a mid-700's in details.

It's basically "Well, as long as your score looks perfect we're going to give you a CC ... even if you have a **bleep** score." 

Yaaaaaaaaaay ... common sense ftw. 

Current Score: (TU98) 714 (TU04) 712 (EQ Beacon 5.0) 672 (EX -FICO v2) 724 (6/13/13)

Message 3 of 10
iDShaDoW
Regular Contributor

Not too informed on credit unions, but in NoVA the only ones I know of are:

-NavyFed

-PenFed

-Apple (or whatever it's called)

Not sure what the requirements are for the last one but something you might look into.

Message 4 of 10
MamboItaliano
Frequent Contributor

You're more informed than I was. Penfed gives access to anyone for a small free. I think I could get into Apple as well with a little work. 

Outstanding, sir. 

Message 5 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I saw a couple of posts on here about Apple being a good CU to join. I tried when my Chex report wasn't looking too hot and got declined, but now that things look good, I'll try in the future. I think anyone can join if you are in the area. Might be other ways too.

Another is Fairfax County Federal Credit Union. They have several branches in the area with their HQ in Fairfax. I'm a member there due to a B2B relationship, but almost anyone can join. I only tried for a car refi a while back, but never tried for anything else.

Here are some others:

http://www.cardreport.com/dirs/credit-unions-virginia.html

Message 6 of 10
MamboItaliano
Frequent Contributor

llecs,

I have an apology to make. Maybe it was just a bad experience or what, but I decided to give NWFCU another go around.

Walked in, dropped my credentials down, applied for a 10k card, got approved for 2k, bargained my way up to 3k. 

Very personable and friendly. 

I guess it's all how you relate to people. 

Sorry if my experience before was "my experience." I probably could have been more objective and should have been.

- M.I. 

Message 7 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

You don't have to apologize. When it comes to CSRs, it's all about good days and bad days, IMO. What's true of the parts it never true of the whole. Congrats on the CC!!

Message 8 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

YOu might try contacting the Nat Assoc of Credit Unions for qualification informtion.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never understand how credit works.  I had a small installment loan from Prosper, paid it off in 1.5 years.  Got a 2nd loan and paid ahead of time on it as well. 

Applied for a 3rd loan and their scoring system said my credit score was so low that they couldn't consider me at any rate.   Nothing had changed, perfectly clean record and had established credit on two revolving lines since then.   Other credit card companies offered only $500 at over 20% interest.

Applied to Apple.  $3,000 line, no problem.   0% intro rate for a year, went up to 10% after that.  Wow.  So I moved all my family account into the CU, they have been great to me.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.