Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on obtaining a consolidation loan

tag
Diana56
New Contributor

Need advice on obtaining a consolidation loan

Unfortunately I had to max out all 3 of my CC's for an emergency, and am  unable to pay them all in full at this time.  I may have to carry a balance for awhile.

I'd love to be able to get approved for a consolidation loan, to pay off all cards, and have only one payment, until I can get things back on track.

Problem:  I've attempted to try for a few new cards, as I was going to use the balance transfer to pay off all 3 cards, but I'm being denied, because there are 

too many inquiries and of course accounts too high (ratio), and I've only had all 3 since December.

Sooooo .... do I approach the local US bank for a loan, or the local Numerica C.U., as they're a 'shared branch' to my CU back in New York state (I've just moved to Washington state and haven't established myself in any bank or C.U. yet).

Or do I just continue to pay off each CC with as much as I can afford each month (always the minimum, but try to go over that if I can)?

All accounts are up to date, and I always pay early and more than the minimum payment.

Any other suggestions are welcomed.   Thanks!

Capital One: $10,000 - BOA: $1,500 - PayPal: $2,000 - Amazon: $900

Experian: 698 - Equifax: 700 today! YAY!! - TransUnion: 706
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Diana56
New Contributor

Re: Need advice on obtaining a consolidation loan

Should I maybe move this to another area?  

Message 2 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

IMO your only option is going to be a CU, major banks will not likely extend you credit, I would try to get in with a local CU, present your plan and see what they can do for you on a personal loan basis. I would only do this if you have no intention of running up the cards again.

Message 3 of 7
Diana56
New Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

IMO your only option is going to be a CU, major banks will not likely extend you credit, I would try to get in with a local CU, present your plan and see what they can do for you on a personal loan basis. I would only do this if you have no intention of running up the cards again.

Thank you .... I was leaning towards the local shared C.U. also.

I NEVER intend to run up the cards again!  It was an unforeseen medical emergency.

Message 4 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I would second the CU idea: other option is if you have an asset you can secure the loan against (house, car, savings account / CD), that might work as well and then refinance it later if needbe though usually secured loans have lower APR's anyway.

One other option though can be sticky (families are all different): family loan.  If you can and do go this route give them the full legally enforcible promissary note.

The rest of the potential options really aren't any better than just paying them down as you can to my knowledge.

        
Message 5 of 7
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

Check lending club and prosper.they will do a soft pull and give you a rate. But they are inquiry sensitive and scores need to be Like a min 640 I believe.

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 6 of 7
Diana56
New Contributor

Thanks all ... I have tried Lending Tree and was denied.  Smiley Sad

I'm going to be approaching the CU in my area, they know me a bit, as I've used them for a few transactions. 

Hopefully I'll be approved.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.