Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on whether to cancel WAMU credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need advice on whether to cancel WAMU credit card

I would like to cancel my Washington Mutual credit card (WAMU).  However, I am hesitant in actually doing this because I might be purchasing a home in the next six months.  I have a $1000 credit limit on the WAMU card but the card charges a $4 monthly fee and 26% APR even with a $0 balance.      I have been unsuccessful in getting WAMU to give me more favorable credit terms.   I would appreciate any suggestions.  Right now, my credit score is 655.  I have $4500 on Discover ($6000 credit limit), which is older than WAMU.  I also have $4500 of credit available on 5 other credit cards/lines (two are older than WAMU), all which carry low (less than $100 paid in full each month) or no balances.  I am considering paying down my Discover Card more aggressively if I cancel the WAMU credit card.  However, I am not sure if this is the best option.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kal001
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need advice on whether to cancel WAMU credit card

The WAMU does not have an AF-

Just let it be for now- leave it at a zero balance and pay down the other cards-
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, the WAMU credit card has an annual fee, $48 paid in monthly installments of $4 plus interest.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry - I misread you post-

Given the short time before you mortgage-
I would either pre-pay a few months of AF or call and ask them to waive it-

I would not close it right now-

Kal001 wrote:
Actually, the WAMU credit card has an annual fee, $48 paid in monthly installments of $4 plus interest.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Wamu CL effecting UTL probably is raising your score up to 10 points because of current debt on the Discover card. However the $4 monthly can also hurt you if it reports a bal of $4 each month on your CR. Keep $5 or more pos bal on your Wamu card each month so it reports $0.

Those other cards that have small balances. Pay them in full so they report $0 bal. Better if you have fewer obligations during a mortgage app. Then work on the Discover bal leaving as your only revolving debt when you apply if you can't pay if off. If you can pay it. Great! Leave $10 on it as a balance. If not just pay off as much as possible.

In summery, the $4 a month is little compared to the good it is doing right at this moment before you apply.

After your mortgage cancel if you wish to save money in fees. Smiley Happy

FYI. A score of 700 is with in your reach if you pay down your Discover card aggressively enough.
(based on a score of 655 with 39% dt-cl%)

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 01-14-2008 09:45 PM
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy and ilovepizza,

Thank you for your help!

Kal001
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.