Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice regarding Sallie Mae

tag
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

Need advice regarding Sallie Mae

hi everyone.  i have a Sallie Mae student loan on my TU report as a charge off.  when i started getting on cleaning up my credit, i called sallie mae to get more information regarding the student loan account.  i called them several times and each time i called, i was told that they couldn't find my account....that i wasn't even showing up as having an account.  i was even transferred to the department that handled old accounts and they couldn't find me in their system either.  the loan was from when i was in school in 2002.  it's not like i didn't make them look for it.  in fact, each time i called them, i was the one insisting that i had an account with them while they were telling me that if i did, they're not seeing it because it's not showing in their system.  the TL is set to come off this coming November anyways so i can wait for it to fall off.  but if it can come off earlier, the better it will help my score.  i know my score have improved a lot because of a successful request to delete from AFNI, judgement on my report has been corrected, and info on my cc's finally updated showing 9% util (would be 0% if BBRZ would only freakin' update my file showing zero balance) all within this month.  when this comes off, then i'd only have one CO from Verizon that is about 2 yrs old...which would still look better compared to having 2 + a judgement.

can i submit a dispute with TU to get the TL taken off my report since Sallie Mae can't find my account in their system?  . 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Need advice regarding Sallie Mae

if it's about to come off, it may not be hurting your score as much as you think.  especially if you will still have one on your reports.  good luck though!  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I were you, I would have Sallie Mae to send you something in writing saying that they do not have an account on file for you. Once you have that, you can send it to the CRs and tell them to remove it. Or send Sallie Mae a DV and tell them to remove it if they cannot validate the debt. Doing either option will not hurt you and will only take up a little bit of your time. However, like Laz98 said...if it's that old and its about to come off...it probably isn't really hurting your score. So you have a few options to think about.
Message 3 of 11
DI
Super Contributor

Whether a charge off account is 1 day old or 6 years old, it will hurt one's score until it no longer reports. 

Message 4 of 11
laz98
Senior Contributor

of course it's hurting; we are saying it's probably not hurting AS MUCH as it could be.

Message 5 of 11
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

thanks everyone for the response.  i submitted a dispute over the phone with TU.  somehow it wasn't letting me submit a dispute online last week.  hopefully the dispute will come back positive for it being deleted for the reason of them not being able to validate it.

UPDATE:

i just refreshed my TU report from truecredit.com and SUCCESS!!  it has been deleted on my credit report!  although it did not change my FAKO score (stayed at 734).  now the only baddies i have are the judgement and a CO from Verizon.  for these two...i just have to wait to drop off.  the judgement will fall off in a little over a year and Verizon unfortunately will stay until 2015 (and from what i've read here...big red isn't keen on giving people GW deletions *sigh*).  but still, i've gotten 3 baddies off my report just within the past 3-4 months.  not too shabby if i may say so myself Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 11
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Unfortunately, most individuals find that the removal of a major derog does not increase their score much (if at all) if there are other major derogs still reporting. The big jump in score will occur when all derogs are gone. Good luck in the rebuilding process.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 11
breeo

Question: how do you know exactly when your account are going to "fall off"
Your report? I have paid off all of my account but they are still on
My report flagged. How do I get these flags taken away? MOreso,
They are from years ago...is it just a waiting game and if so how do I find out
When they are scheduled to come off my report? My score is 594 but EVERYTHING
is paid off and I don't understand what else to do to make my score rise
I am very confused. I thought pYing them off would raise my score. Thanks!
Message 8 of 11
laz98
Senior Contributor

if you get copies of your credit reports from the actual credit bureaus, & not like the 3-in-1 reports, the kind you would get from annualcreditreport.com or something, they should have fall-off dates.  i like to get the paper copies, because i can see the information better.

Message 9 of 11
PEACEANDLOVE

I have the same and exact problem with Sallie Mae...and guess what?  i disputed the chargers yesterday thinking  I was helping myself but to my surprise my Credit score drop by 56 point. I called Equifax to find out what was going on they told me that any time you open up a dispute your score tend to go down until the investigation is completed. I am so screwed OMG... I have an appointment to meet with a loan officer this Friday to pre-qualify me for a home loan.... I need to put that on hold till next month. PLEASE DON'T DO IT!!!!!!

Starting Score: EQ 580 TU 601 b>
Current Score: TU 664 EQ 612 EX 690 ( vantage)
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.