Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice regarding validating before I offer pay for delete letter-

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need advice regarding validating before I offer pay for delete letter-

Hello, I'm a newbie to credit repair and my credit is pretty shoddy. I've spent the last week devouring the forums and learning all I can about fixing my credit ethically. Now I'm ready to get down and dirty and would like some opinions and advice before I jump in. I believe most of my accounts are still within the SOL for Texas (4 years) and I'm wondering if I should try and validate the accounts with the Collection agency before I send a pay for delete letter. Would this be wise, or since I know they are ours should I just try the pfd letter and skip the disputing and validation process? We are ready to pay the accounts regardless, but if they can't confirm that I owe them money why should I send any- right? Thanks for your opinions-

Message Edited by digichic on 01-20-2008 11:35 AM
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need advice regarding validating before I offer pay for delete letter-

Validating is more than proving that you owe the debt. It is also proving that they have a right to collect it from you.  In my case (varies by state) they also have to prove that they are licensed to do business here.

I dv'd debts within SOL that I could pay  - one CA wasn't licensed and deleted; and the other only provided the 'account paperwork' but nothing else.  I'm still working on them.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

In Texas collection agencies apparently don't need to be licensed only 'bonded' whatever that means. The collection agency that I'd like verification from in particular is LVNV. They have two accounts one from 'Sears' and the other from 'CitiFinancial'. The accounts were opened recently with them- 3/2006 and 6/2007. However they are telling me in the letter that says send everything to Sherman Customer Service (?!?!).

I guess my fear is that if I try to validate anything that they might refuse my pfd and take me to court -which I would like to avoid if at all possible.

Message Edited by travik on 01-20-2008 12:01 PM
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry the above is still me. I was logged into dh's 'myfico'...
Message 4 of 5
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
However they are telling me in the letter that says send everything to Sherman Customer Service (?!?!).

I guess my fear is that if I try to validate anything that they might refuse my pfd and take me to court -which I would like to avoid if at all possible.

Message Edited by travik on 01-20-2008 12:01 PM

I wouldn't be worried about that. They need to be able to prove the DV. They must be able to validate. Change your mindset. They ought to be the ones who are afraid, not you. Put the onus where it belongs...on the dirty CAs.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.