Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help getting first credit card

tag
GlocksAndCredit
Regular Contributor

Re: Need help getting first credit card

You should have no problem getting the Discover IT for Students. This was my first card. All I had to was take pics of my SS card, Proof of Residence and Proof that I was enrolled in school (Class Schedule) and they had no problem issuing me a card for $500 bucks, they gave me a CLI every 6 months but haven't since. I use it pretty heavy and PIF every month as I do with all my other cards.

That's my biggest piece of advice. When you get a card - PIF every month, do not get backed up. When you start playing the catch up game, that's when you get trapped. 

Good Luck with your credit Endeavors; AND keep reading this forum. These people on here are the cream of the crop. Best of the Best (not me, i'm the Student to Credit as well). 

CSP $9500, CapitalOne VentureOne Sig Visa $8000 Chase Freedom Sig Visa $5000, Citi ThankYou Preferred Sig Visa $5000, Amazon Store Card $5000, Discover IT $4800, CapitalOne Quick Silver MasterCard $4000, Fidelity AMEX $4000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $3300, Hilton Honors Sig Visa $3300, Citi Double Cash $2700, SunTrust Cash Rewards $2500, Citi Simplicity Visa $2300, AMEX BCE $2000, AMEX Everyday $2000, AMEX Delta SkyMiles $2000, Amazon Reward Visa $1800, BP VIsa $1800, Barclays Apple Visa $1700, Suncoast FCU $1000, Target REDCard $900

Current Scores: EQ 727 (Fico), EX 735 (Fico) **In the Garden unti....forever.
Message 11 of 15
ztoxins

I just cheked my application status online for the astoria (First National Bank of Omaha) secured card and was approved. Can't wait till i get the card.

Message 12 of 15
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@ztoxins wrote:

I just cheked my application status online for the astoria (First National Bank of Omaha) secured card and was approved. Can't wait till i get the card.

Yes!!! Congrats! Pay at least the minimum, if not in full, each month.

Message 13 of 15
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

Pay at least the minimum, if not in full, each month.

The minimum doesn't really matter.  It's utilization that is important.  Odds are that the card will have a low CL and it's very easy to end up with high reported utilization on such cards.  OP should keep this in mind:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

At 30% utilization (Amounts Owed) has the second biggest impact on score.

Message 14 of 15
j2figuer

My husband is new to the country and has absolutely no credit. There is no file for him or anything. He applied for the Cap One secured but it was denied due to him not having any credit history. After researching a lot and reading a lot of good advice on this forum, we signed him up for a membership with DCU. He applied for their secured Visa and a day or so later they asked for a copy of his DL, paystub and SS card. This morning, we got an email that he was approved for a non secured Visa Platinum rewards card with a limit of 3,000! That's not bad given that he is just starting out and has absolutely no credit! That might also be an option to look into. Good luck !

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.