Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need just 2 points!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need just 2 points!!

First time posting here. My question is this I am currently trying to get a mortgage loan and they just pulled my credit, my scores were 616 ex 618eq And 657 TU, I know they are not great but I have been rebuilding. I have 3 cc. All low limits.
650/700. 440/500 and 320/320. Well I paid the 320 to a zero balance and also paid a 8000 dollar car loan off both of in which have not reported. The lender is doing a rapid rescore to get me the two points. Do you think this is even possible? Thanks for your expertise.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Need just 2 points!!

@Anonymous wrote:
First time posting here. My question is this I am currently trying to get a mortgage loan and they just pulled my credit, my scores were 616 ex 618eq And 657 TU, I know they are not great but I have been rebuilding. I have 3 cc. All low limits.
650/700. 440/500 and 320/320. Well I paid the 320 to a zero balance and also paid a 8000 dollar car loan off both of in which have not reported. The lender is doing a rapid rescore to get me the two points. Do you think this is even possible? Thanks for your expertise.

personally i think paying off the car loan was a mistake, creditors like a mix of open tradelines, and Car loans tend to be lower APR, Paying off the credit card would help your UTL a lot more than paying the car loan. 

but you can't unring a bell... good luck on the morgage. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

personally i think paying off the car loan was a mistake, creditors like a mix of open tradelines, and Car loans tend to be lower APR, Paying off the credit card would help your UTL a lot more than paying the car loan. 

IMHO PIF's the loan was the correct move since it lowers your DTI which is always good for a mortgage.  PIF's the CC card may help your FICO score too as well as your DTI.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the quick response. I should clarify I was actually a cosigner on the car loan and she bought a new car on her own, so that loan was paid in full. I do have a car loan in my name still. I have no Bad marks on my credit it is being hurt my my util. So I'm
Hopin by paying off that card it will boost a couple points. I have the money to pay off the others but the lender said leave it alone for now
An keep the money in the bank.
Message 4 of 9
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Ya, they are going to want to see money in the bank as well.

I think doing what you've done, is fine.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 5 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

but you can't unring a bell... good luck on the morgage. 

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you for the quick response. I should clarify I was actually a cosigner on the car loan and she bought a new car on her own, so that loan was paid in full. I do have a car loan in my name still. I have no Bad marks on my credit it is being hurt my my util. So I'm
Hopin by paying off that card it will boost a couple points. I have the money to pay off the others but the lender said leave it alone for now
An keep the money in the bank.

Fingers crossed for you to get your house soon!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Installment loan balances aren't really factored into FICO scoring.  CC utilization is 30% of the score, however.  Paying 320 might help.  Ideally, though, you want to get your utilization under 30% though to see a decent FICO drop.  I would try to get your total CC usage down below $450 and you should see a nice increase in your score.

From paying the $320, you may get the 2 points you need.  If you pay it totally below $450, you should get even more, and possibly even get a better rate.  If you have the money to do it, I would recommend it.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you the answer that is what I was kind of looking for, I just new the two points right now to lock in the price then before closing I will pay off more of the debt on the cards and keep them down to increase the price and possibly get the better rate as you suggested. Thank you again.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.