Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some help with this!!

tag
TitanX
Valued Member

Need some help with this!!

Hey guys,

I need some help! I'm not sure what is going on, but the receptionist at my office got a call today from a guy, didn't say his name or anything. When she first picked up the phone and answered, he asked for the payroll department. She said we don't have one here, its else where. Then he asked for my wife. My wife doesn't work here. The only time she puts my number down is for medical stuff b/c that is in my name. The secretary said she was transfer him to her husband (me). I picked up the call and it dropped or he hung up. No idea what happened. I went over to talk to the secretary and she said it was an unknown number.

Can anyone help with this?? What should I do?? I'm afraid that it is some kind of identity theft or something. Btw, he said her first name, maiden name and married last name. I've sent an email to HR, so I have started that part. Has anyone heard of a scam like this? Not sure if its a scam or not.

Thanks in advance!!!

Redstone FCU 5k, US Bank 11k, Suncoast CU 5k, Cap One Plat $450, Cap One QuickSilver $900, NFCU 8k, Firestone 1.2k, Ascend FCU 9.5k
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Cageym
Established Contributor

Re: Need some help with this!!

Notifying HR was a good start, I would also pull all 3 credit reports and see if something, a judgement maybe, has been added.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 2 of 4
TitanX
Valued Member

Thanks Cageym,
I pulled her report and nothing out of the ordinary on there, that we didn't know about. I just got a response from HR and they contacted the payroll department. I think it was a scam. There was a judgement from a long time ago on there, but that was before we got married. She doesn't have any credit cards, mortgages, or cars in her name. The only thing that I can think of is medical stuff. That is the only thing she puts my work number down for, and she usually puts my direct number, not the office number.

Redstone FCU 5k, US Bank 11k, Suncoast CU 5k, Cap One Plat $450, Cap One QuickSilver $900, NFCU 8k, Firestone 1.2k, Ascend FCU 9.5k
Message 3 of 4
UserID732555

Unfortunately, there are collection agencies out there which come across as a legitimate collection agency, however they are total scams. 

What she needs to do is contact her creditors and make sure that there was not a mistake made and be sure that none of her accounts were handed off to a collection agency. This is the first step which should ALWAYS be taken upon being contacted by a collection agency or any other agency with information seemingly from a creditor. It is imperative to verify the status of all accounts to make sure you are not being scammed. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.