Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some student loan repayment advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need some student loan repayment advice

I have almost $100K in student loans and $11K in a car loan.  Everything has been paid on time so far.  Do the payments on my student loans help my FICO?  By how much?

My FICO is right around 700 for all three agencies.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need some student loan repayment advice

bump
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome-
Yes the payment history helps as it is a huge factor in Fico scoring-

Many people I know - their SL's are the oldest items on their Credit Reports (they do get paid off eventually)
Do you have any revolving credit?

newbiestudent wrote:
I have almost $100K in student loans and $11K in a car loan.  Everything has been paid on time so far.  Do the payments on my student loans help my FICO?  By how much?

My FICO is right around 700 for all three agencies.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have revolving credit (a credit card) but I never use it...I use a debit card instead. I also have several store credit cards that I rarely use...
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that if you increase you cl on you cc's you would get a bump also if you had more cc's it might be good! You dont have to use them that much just use them for things you know you can pay back right away. I think this would improve your credit. Or you could buy your first home. That is the best investment you can make and it will improve your credit over time and you will have something to show for it...A HOUSE!!!

Just never be late!!! That is the most important thing i have learned.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I know what I can get approved for? I tried to get approved for a really great citi professional card with nice rewards, but I got rejected because I don’t have any balance on any of my revolving cards and I don’t use them. so I have to first use my credit cards more, then try to get approval for a credit card? Or can I call my current credit card companies and ask them to raise my limit?
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
How do I know what I can get approved for?

In order to know that, you need to know what your FICO scores are.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.